April 2014 A Note from Marcy
Welcome to the April 2014 Issue of Betterbaking.com. It's finally spring and of course, rhubarb has to be on the menu. Enjoy Free Strawberry Raspberry Rhubarb Pie and zesty Lemon Crumble Tart plus plenty of other goodies for Passover and Easter.
Dear Bakers and Friends,
If you live in the North East, particularly in Montreal, you have to be as spring-starved as I am. Usually I'm good about winter - it's wonderful baking weather and bakers are ever-so-popular in cooler months. But this winter was ridiculously endless. To celebrate winter's demise and the beautiful sight of melting snow, I've been working on Passover and Easter treats but also a knock out Lemon Crumble Tart. There's also the Lemon Pizza which is thanks to my friend Janet. She always finds neat trends and lets me know what to conjure up, but in BB style. She finds it, relays it to the BB Test Kitchen; then I create it and share it with you. Janet has one of the best palates I know but she's also most graceful in letting me know where and how to tweak a recipe. If the Lemon Pizza is perfection - thank Janet.
Thanks to everyone who's purchased my newest cookbook When Bakers Cook as well as my other cookbooks. I am honoured as well as simply delighted to know we're all cooking and baking on the same page. If I could invite you all here for dinner, I would. As I can't, just knowing I've handed off my best recipes to you to enjoy, be it soup or cupcakes, is another sort of satisfaction. We bakers are very mother hen-ish and feeding people well, one way or another, is in our genes or is a particular mandate.
I've been busy dealing with Internet issues (don't you hate it when that happens?) but when I'm not doing that, I've also enjoyed discovering some amazing new bakeries and cafes in the city. On the most recent occasion, I dragged my friend Joyce - who doesn't need much convincing to go on an urban adventure. We usually meet early in the morning, midway between her city home and my suburban one. Joyce comes armed with clothes for a week, snacks, and enough bottled water for the New York marathon. She navigates and I drive and we go from place to place. She is the perfect wing man for sleuthing new food places and we alternate chatting up the staff while the other one figures out which goodies to try. This time, we hit about six new bakeries and ended up with Portuguese Chicken Sandwiches, which we took to the old Italian Market in the city. It was heaven. Good food, nice time playing hooky and great company. (My own recipe for Portuguese Chicken in in my cookbook When Bakers Cook)
Is your city also bustling with new places? There seems to be a true Renaissance of coffee places here in Montreal so I assume it's elsewhere too. One particular specialty was Premier Moisson, a chain pastry and bread shop in Montreal. They are offering Maple Croissants. They split baked croissants, fill them with maple pastry cream, and then glaze them in maple syrup. They are indescribably delicious and if I made them, I'd eat them all day so I've saved all of us by not recreating the recipe. That said, their Maple Croissant is mostly an assembly; it's simply a croissant, a slather of maple custard and then a sweet maple glaze). Sad to say, Maple Croissants aren't on the Paleo or Fast Metabolism Diets yet.
This is a short and sweet note as I have a huge mess in the kitchen to clean up. Blame the Lemon Pizza and Caramel Sticky Pudding or Pouding au Chomeur testing. But just a Passover Head’s Up; don’t forget my cookbook, A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking has a whole chapter totally dedicated to Passover baking. It's my best Passover desserts, including famed Matzoh Buttercrunch all in one place. On the BB site, there’s stil more Passover recipes including a totally awesome Stuffed Brisket. What I've presented here is just a sampling.
Happy Spring everyone, and warm wishes from my kitchen to yours,
Master Baker, Author, Publisher
APRIL 2014 BAKER'S STASH RECIPES
Caramel Sticky Pudding or Pouding au Chomeur
A Quebec specialty that is simple as pie but decadent as anything you've ever had.
Lemons, arugula, garlic and oozing melting cheese on a rustic pizza crust? How can you resist?
Maple Walnut 'n Brown Sugar Scones
Beautiful sweet scones, buttery with chunks of toasted walnuts and a kiss of maple.
Lemon Crumble Tart
A beautiful tart filled with lemon curd and cream and a crumble topping.
Passover Apple Rhubarb Cobbler
Homey, fresh and fruity, a perfect Seder sweet.
Seder Strudel Roll
A cookie like strudel for Passover that is, as they say, haimish.
FREE My Famous Matzoh Caramel Buttercrunch (c) & Variations!
This needs no introduction - just get read to make at least four batches.
FREE Hot Cross Buns with Sundried Cherries & Vanilla Fondant
Who doesn't love fresh, sweet yeast buns?
Kulich or Russian Easter Bread with Pashka
A majestic yeasted coffee cake that's a classic.
FREE Hungarian Cheesecake
A light cheesecake to enjoy for Easter or when Passover....passes.
Previous Issues, Note From Marcy/Baker's Stash
Previous Monthly Essays from A Note From Marcy:
Essays to tickle your funny bone, wake up your inner baker, twinge on your heartstrings, or make you smile and say, ‘I’ve know the feeling; I know the place”. If you missed an essay, or a season in baking or inner sensibility, we invite you to stroll through our archived Notes From Marcy.
- April 2014 A Note from Marcy - April 2014
- March 2014 A Note from Marcy - March 2014
- FEBRUARY 2014 A Note from Marcy - February 2014
- BB SUBSCRIPTION SALE - February 2014
- January 2014 A Note from Marcy - January 2014
- December 2013 A Note from Marcy - December 2013
- November 2013 A Note from Marcy - November 2013
- October 2013 A Note from Marcy - October 2013
- September 2013 A Note from Marcy - September 2013
- August 2013 A Note from Marcy - August 2013
- July 2013 A Note from Marcy - July 2013
- June 2013 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - June 2013
- May 2013 A Note from Marcy - May 2013
- April 2013 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - April 2013
- March 2013 A Note from Marcy - March 2013
- February 2013 A Note from Marcy - February 2013
- January 2013 A Note from Marcy - January 2013
- December 2012 A Note from Marcy - December 2012
- November 2012 A Note from Marcy - November 2012
- October 2012 A Note from Marcy - October 2012
- September 2012 A Note from Marcy - September 2012
- August 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - August 2012
- July 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - July 2012
- TeamBuy.ca and BetterBaking.com Subscription Special! - June 2012
- May 2012 A Note from Marcy - May 2012
- April 2012 Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - April 2012
- March 2012 A Note From Marcy - March 2012
- February 2012 A Note from Marcy - February 2012
- January 2012 A Note from Marcy - January 2012
- December 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - December 2011
- November 2011 Note from Marcy Bakers Stash - November 2011
- October 2011 Note From Marcy Baker's Stash - October 2011
- September 2011 A Note from Marcy - September 2011
- August 2011 (1) Note From Marcy - August 2011
- June 2011 Note from Marcy - June 2011
- May 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - May 2011
- March 2011 A Note From Marcy - March 2011
- February 2011 A Note From Marcy, Baker's Stash - February 2011
- January 2011 A Note from Marcy - January 2011
- December 2010 Baker's Stash - December 2010
- November 2010 Baker's Stash - November 2010
- October 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - October 2010
- September 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - September 2010
- August 2010 Baker's Stash - August 2010
- July 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note from Marcy - July 2010
- June 2010 Baker's Stash - June 2010
- April 2010 BAKER'S STASH - April 2010
- March 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note From Marcy - March 2010
- 2003-2007 PAST ISSUES Note from Marcy & Recipes - February 2010
- JANUARY 2010 BAKER'S STASH - January 2010
- December 2009 Baker's Stash - December 2009
- September 2009 Baker's Stash - September 2009
- April 2009 Bakers Stash - April 2009
- March 2009 Baker's Stash Baking With Mom, Feminist in the Kitchen and some Retro - March 2009
- February 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash - February 2009
- January 2009 Baker's Stash - January 2009
- December 2008 Baker's Stash - December 2008
- November 2008 A Note From Marcy - November 2008
- A note from Marcy - December 2007
- A Note from Marcy - February 2007 - An Oreo Love Affair
- A Note from Marcy - January 2007 - When Bakers Cook, Recipes deChef
- A Note from Marcy - December 2006 - Shortbread and Other Favorite Things
- A Note from Marcy - November 2006 - Thank Goodness for Pie
- A Note from Marcy - October 2006 - A Salute to Chocolate Chip Cookies
- A Note from Marcy - September 2006 - The Back to School Carrot Cake Issue
- A Note From Marcy - August 2006 - The Sourdough Magic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - July 2006 - The Annual BB Picnic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - June 2006 - The Bountiful Berry Issue
- A Note from Marcy - May 2006 - Pride and Pastry or Tea With Jane
- A Note from Marcy - April 2006 - The Breakfast Baking Issue and Fresh Starts
- A Note from Marcy March 2006 Passion - Gettin' Some - March 2006 - Havana A Heat Wave, Baking with A Latin Beat and The Passion Play
- A Note from Marcy - February 2006 - Memoirs of A Geisha Baking, Valentineâ€™s Sweets
- A Note from Marcy - January 2006 - The You're Toast, A Salute To Slicing Loaves and More
- A Note from Marcy - December 2005 - Bake It Forward, Gift Baking Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2005 - Open Hearth Hosting or Guess Who's Coming For Dinner
- A Note from Marcy - October 2005 - It All Happens for a Reason or Sometimes Bread Just Doesn't Rise.....
- A Note from Marcy - September 2005 - Baking By the Code
- A Note from Marcy - August 2005 - The Tao of Pie
- A Note from Marcy - July 2005 - The Journey of the Journal plus Twix Bars!
- A Note from Marcy - June 2005 - A Pastry Chefs Trial by Cheesecakes
- A Note from Marcy - May 2005 - The Frontier Baking Issue/Living Big in a Small Venue
- A Note from Marcy - April 2005 - When Harry Met Salad
- A Note from Marcy - March 2005 - Baking with an Irish Broque; A Romance in the Dairy Queen One Fine March
- A Note from Marcy - February 2005 - She Just Doesnâ€™t Get Him, Valentineâ€™s Day Rebuttal and Cupcakes Galore
- A Note from Marcy - January 2005 - The Art of Changing and Making Space in a New Year
- A Note from Marcy - December 2004 - The Shall We Dance or Shall We Bake, Holiday Baking Issue and an Ode to Dance
- A Note from Marcy - November 2004 - The Bread and Soup Issue and How A Canadian Became Americanized (sort of)
- A Note from Marcy - October 2004 - The Field of Dreams Issue, Baseball and the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - September 2004 - The Catcher of the Rye Issue, What Falls Away, the Sweet Taste of Forgiveness and Letting Go
- A Note from Marcy - August 2004 - Itâ€™s All Greek To Me Issue and The Evils of Multi-Tasking
- A Note from Marcy - July 2004 - The Gone Fishinâ€™ Issue/Summer in the River City, A Bakerâ€™s Musical
- A Note from Marcy - June 2004 - The All That Jazz Issue, How To Scat and Improvise in Wheat
- A Note from Marcy - May 2004 - The Bread and Roses Issue, Goddess, Feminist or Feminineâ€¦and Fudge
- A Note from Marcy - April 2004 - Waiting for Happy, or If I Won the Lotto
- A Note from Marcy - March 2004 - Meet You in the Bookstore, My Love Affair with Books
- A Note from Marcy - February 2004 - Sweets for the Sweet, a Valentine From the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - January 2004 - How To Eat Right or Resolution 2004 â€“ How Not To Diet
- A Note From Marcy - December 2003 - The Sugar and Spice Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2003 - How To Weather the Weather, or Keeping Cozy in Late Fall
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 2) - They Laughed When I Got Up To Bake, Hotel School Trials
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 1) - How I Got Into Baking, A Bakerâ€™s Beginnings Part 1
- A Note from Marcy - September 2003 - Welcome To Wheatland, a bakerâ€™s fantasy or Camelot in Flour
- A Note from Marcy - August 2003 - Notes on Homemade Krispie Kreme Doughnuts
- A Note From Marcy - July 2003 - Memories of Summer Music Camp or Baking to Birdland
- A Note From Marcy - June 2003 - How to Play Hooky in Summer, An Urban Adventure
- February 2009 Baker's Stash
- April 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash
- October 2008 Baker's Stash
- May 2010 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Issue Baking by Heart Copy
- March 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash
- April 2009 Baker's Stash
- Free Bonus Cronut Recipe!
- September 2008 Baker's Stash