June 2017 A Note from Marcy
You are such a fabulous bunch. Truly. I don’t know why I didn’t ask you all ‘which cookbook’ sooner. You are so helpful. You’re better than any agent I ever had and know what you want more than any publisher does. Nothing beats asking the company you keep!
The response to ‘which cookbook next’ was so overwhelming that initially I did start to respond to everyone individually but the overwhelming number of emails quickly saw an end to those noble intentions. My thanks for your warm responses and my apologies for this collective note. I am not one prone to Yiddish hyperbole (which is sort of redundant; all Yiddish seems to be hyperbolic) but in short, I am, far-klempt with your outpouring. The term far-klempt means to be overcome with emotion (I knew what it meant but I had to look up the phonetic spelling).
So many of you also took the time to add in some other words of encouragement which is so generous. I heard from old friends and quiet readers I never knew were there. I wish I was one of those authors who wrote solely for artistic reward and to keep the home fires burning but to be honest I am the sort of writer that thrives on the sound of at least two hands clapping.
So thank you so very much. It is a huge energetic lift to power me on my way and help me bring fresh new titles.
The Vote is In!
Tied for 1st Place:
Scones and A Treasury of Jewish Cooking (aka a Jewish cooking book)
2nd Place: Muffins
3rd Place: Bagels
4th Place: Coffeecakes
5th Place: Cheesecakes (which wasn't on the table but someone mentioned it)
Other mentions were Gluten Free Paleo Blue Zone Passover (not kidding). sheet cakes and 9 by 13's (I like that idea too), Brunch, Pizza and Loaf Cakes.
The jury (or the crowd) has spoken and I have my marching orders. I was about to go ahead on Bagels but clearly the overwhelming majority of you expressed a passion for a Scones Cookbook next (I’m for that as well), then Muffins and concurrently, a Jewish Cooking Book.
So I am going ahead on Scones as well as a big, bouncy book on Jewish cooking as a companion to Jewish Holiday Baking. I will also be bringing out the Best Cookies Book in print by early Fall.
For those of you who love homemade bagels as much as I do – please be patient. And for those of you who wrote and told me they thought bagels were hard to make – trust me – they’re not. I promise you and one day, I’ll show you. But in the meanwhile, we’re going on a scone adventure (as well as Jewish cooking).
I must also say what I like about these little cookbooks is that it gives me a chance to create new recipes and really focus on thirteen blue-ribbon winners. Each one of the biscotti recipes in the upcoming Baker's Dozen Biscotti Book, for example, is a pearl.
So without further ado, I wish you a great week ahead and I’m off to get eggs, flour and sugar and create some very special scone recipes for this by-request new cookbook.
Author, Master Baker
Some of you will get this message twice and someone of you, for the first time (power failure mid-task).
At any rate, here's the correct free biscotti recipe links
"The Secret" Caramel Chocolate Chip Biscotti
Which book next?
A Jewish Cooking Book?
I hope you’re enjoying your early summer wherever you are.
As you know, all my books in digital form are on sale until the end of June for $4.99 each. That’s great value and makes a perfect gift since you can purchase and send it to anyone’s device (smart phone or IPad). The books are all on Kindle (which has an app I use so I can read my own books on my IPad). But after June 30th, prices go back to regular price.
I am also continuing my work on The Baker’s Dozen series. The next book in the series is almost done. It’s Best Biscotti and will be in print as well as digital.
The third book? I was thinking Bagels since nothing beats homemade bagels and that's a pet project of mine: I love bagels. But I am open to your suggestions. I was also leaning towards Scones or Muffins as the next book. What are your thoughts?
(Runner up: 9 by 13 inch pan cakes or coffee cakes)
I am also thinking ahead to creating a companion book to Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking with a cooking treatise, i.e. A Treasury of Jewish Cooking. This cookbook (cooking versus baking) will have all my own favorite original recipes from deli-style knishes to chicken, briskets, soups, brunch classics, and more. A Passover chapter or book will probably be separate. Again – I welcome your thoughts? Would such a book (sort of a 100 Best Jewish Cooking recipes) be of interest?
Happy to hear your input since you’re who I am writing for!
In the meanwhile, here are two amazing recipes that just got cut from the Biscotti Book (no room!). Enjoy, and also a most Happy Father’s Day to you and yours.
FREE!! "The Secret" Caramel Chocolate Chip Biscotti
FREE!! "The Secret" Caramel Chocolate Chip Biscotti
Author, Master Baker
Summertime and you want your baking simple and simply delicious. Sugar-topped Blueberries and Cream Muffins does the trick. Or you can try a batch of Rocky Road Biscotti to munch on while you're Tweeting. All this and more recipes in the June 2017 Issue of Betterbaking.com.
You’d think summer weather would be a cue to cool down the baking and put the kitchen in slow mo. But every day I see something new to bake or cook. Spring-going-into summer generally puts me into a lower gear (I am not one too fond of the heat) but lately, I seem to have a surfeit of energy (it’s all the hot yoga classes). I am characteristically a victim of impulse and sudden appetites and clearly, as I grow up, that’s not abating. All I have to is glance at the baking boards on Pinterest and I want to revisit old favorites like Tollhouse and Oatmeal Cookies but with a twist. I happen to see a new food magazine and now I want to make Hollandaise and Avocado Toast on Sourdough Bread. A Saturday market parked down the street has me craving free range, organic chicken eggs and the vegetarian book club makes me want to try cashew cheesecake. Maybe I’ll finally make that spoon bread I’ve never once made, or real corn tortillas (anyone else following the Blue Zone dietary suggestions?).
You see this is what happens when you don’t have a regular day job. You run amuck; you’re happily untethered. The good part is it lets your imagination run wild; the down side is that it makes for chaos in the kitchen. I have a freezer full of doughs (some of which I’ve taken the time to label otherwise it’s anyone’s guess whether those Ziploc bags are pate sucre or rugulah dough), streusel toppings, bits of dulce de leche, half packets of filo, some mongrel containers of mashed bananas and a sourdough starter at the ready. I almost miss the days when the only thing I could bake was Eggs in a Hole and 1,2,3,4 Cake (which has to be the heaviest butter cake on the planet).
I keep promising myself that I will focus on just one thing but the bigger my repertoire the more exalted my reach. The days of summer are longer, that’s true but not long enough to bake it all. So I compromise: I make a few new things, perfect some classics and once in a while treat myself to things I simply just happen to love: like a mellow, rustic Honey Bran Challah or the Blueberry Cornbread that graces this month’s cover.
I know June means some of you are baking for convocations and graduations, Father’s Day, summer weddings, summer birthdays and the arrival of new babies. Some of you, like me, are simply baking for the sheer pleasure of it. Family and friends are the beneficiaries of our craft and passion. So get out the flour, crank up the range and put on that apron and join me on another baking journey. Betterbaking.com, now in its 20th year, has surfed over the days of Atkins, Paleo, gluten-free, bad carbs and wicked sugar and now? For a short time, I think it is indeed safe to come out and bake something for the undisputed joy of it. It’s June – school’s out! Camp Baking is off to a great start!
On a fragrant note, I've been amassing gorgeous new perfumes to review. My review of Babe is a
Previous Monthly Essays from A Note From Marcy:
Essays to tickle your funny bone, wake up your inner baker, twinge on your heartstrings, or make you smile and say, ‘I’ve know the feeling; I know the place”. If you missed an essay, or a season in baking or inner sensibility, we invite you to stroll through our archived Notes From Marcy.
- June 2017 A Note from Marcy - June 2017
- Babe - May 2017
- APRIL 2017 A Note from Marcy - April 2017
- March 2017 A Note from Marcy - March 2017
- February A Note from Marcy - February 2017
- January 2017 A Note from Marcy - January 2017
- December 2016 A Note from Marcy - December 2016
- Winter 2016 BB Best Gifts Round-Up - December 2016
- November 2016 A Note from Marcy - November 2016
- October 2016 A Note from Marcy - October 2016
- September 2016 A Note from Marcy - September 2016
- August 2016 A Note from Marcy - August 2016
- July 2016 A Note from Marcy - June 2016
- June 2016 A Note from Marcy - June 2016
- MAY 2016 A Note from Marcy - May 2016
- April 2016 A Note from Marcy - April 2016
- March 2016 A Note from Marcy - March 2016
- February 2016 A Note from Marcy - February 2016
- January 2016 A Note from Marcy - January 2016
- December 2015 A Note from Marcy - December 2015
- November 2015 A Note from Marcy - November 2015
- September 2015 A Note from Marcy - September 2015
- August 2015 A Note from Marcy - August 2015
- July 2015 A Note from Marcy - July 2015
- June 2015 A Note from Marcy - June 2015
- May 2015 A Note from Marcy - May 2015
- April 2015 A Note from Marcy - April 2015
- March 2015 A Note from Marcy - March 2015
- February 2015 A Note from Marcy - February 2015
- January 2015 A Note from Marcy - January 2015
- December 2014 A Note from Marcy - December 2014
- November 2014 A Note From Marcy - November 2014
- October A Note from Marcy - October 2014
- September 2014 A Note from Marcy - September 2014
- August 2014 A Note from Marcy - August 2014
- July 2014 A Note from Marcy - July 2014
- June 2014 A Note from Marcy - June 2014
- May 2014 A Note from Marcy - May 2014
- April 2014 A Note from Marcy - April 2014
- March 2014 A Note from Marcy - March 2014
- February 2014 A Note from Marcy - February 2014
- January 2014 A Note from Marcy - January 2014
- December 2013 A Note from Marcy - December 2013
- November 2013 A Note from Marcy - November 2013
- October 2013 A Note from Marcy - October 2013
- September 2013 A Note from Marcy - September 2013
- August 2013 A Note from Marcy - August 2013
- July 2013 A Note from Marcy - July 2013
- June 2013 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - June 2013
- May 2013 A Note from Marcy - May 2013
- April 2013 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - April 2013
- March 2013 A Note from Marcy - March 2013
- February 2013 A Note from Marcy - February 2013
- January 2013 A Note from Marcy - January 2013
- December 2012 A Note from Marcy - December 2012
- November 2012 A Note from Marcy - November 2012
- October 2012 A Note from Marcy - October 2012
- September 2012 A Note from Marcy - September 2012
- August 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - August 2012
- July 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - July 2012
- May 2012 A Note from Marcy - May 2012
- April 2012 Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - April 2012
- March 2012 A Note From Marcy - March 2012
- February 2012 A Note from Marcy - February 2012
- January 2012 A Note from Marcy - January 2012
- December 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - December 2011
- November 2011 Note from Marcy Bakers Stash - November 2011
- October 2011 Note From Marcy Baker's Stash - October 2011
- September 2011 A Note from Marcy - September 2011
- August 2011 (1) Note From Marcy - August 2011
- June 2011 Note from Marcy - June 2011
- May 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - May 2011
- March 2011 A Note From Marcy - March 2011
- February 2011 A Note From Marcy, Baker's Stash - February 2011
- January 2011 A Note from Marcy - January 2011
- December 2010 Baker's Stash - December 2010
- November 2010 Baker's Stash - November 2010
- October 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - October 2010
- September 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - September 2010
- August 2010 Baker's Stash - August 2010
- July 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note from Marcy - July 2010
- June 2010 Baker's Stash - June 2010
- April 2010 BAKER'S STASH - April 2010
- March 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note From Marcy - March 2010
- 2003-2007 PAST ISSUES Note from Marcy & Recipes - February 2010
- January 2010 Baker's Stash - January 2010
- December 2009 Baker's Stash - December 2009
- September 2009 Baker's Stash - September 2009
- April 2009 Bakers Stash - April 2009
- March 2009 Baker's Stash Baking With Mom, Feminist in the Kitchen and some Retro - March 2009
- February 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash - February 2009
- January 2009 Baker's Stash - January 2009
- December 2008 Baker's Stash - December 2008
- November 2008 A Note From Marcy - November 2008
- September 2008 Baker's Stash - September 2008
- A note from Marcy - December 2007
- A Note from Marcy - February 2007 - An Oreo Love Affair
- A Note from Marcy - January 2007 - When Bakers Cook, Recipes deChef
- A Note from Marcy - December 2006 - Shortbread and Other Favorite Things
- A Note from Marcy - November 2006 - Thank Goodness for Pie
- A Note from Marcy - October 2006 - A Salute to Chocolate Chip Cookies
- A Note from Marcy - September 2006 - The Back to School Carrot Cake Issue
- A Note From Marcy - August 2006 - The Sourdough Magic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - July 2006 - The Annual BB Picnic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - June 2006 - The Bountiful Berry Issue
- A Note from Marcy - May 2006 - Pride and Pastry or Tea With Jane
- A Note from Marcy - April 2006 - The Breakfast Baking Issue and Fresh Starts
- A Note from Marcy March 2006 Passion - Gettin' Some - March 2006 - Havana A Heat Wave, Baking with A Latin Beat and The Passion Play
- A Note from Marcy - February 2006 - Memoirs of A Geisha Baking, Valentineâ€™s Sweets
- A Note from Marcy - January 2006 - The You're Toast, A Salute To Slicing Loaves and More
- A Note from Marcy - December 2005 - Bake It Forward, Gift Baking Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2005 - Open Hearth Hosting or Guess Who's Coming For Dinner
- A Note from Marcy - October 2005 - It All Happens for a Reason or Sometimes Bread Just Doesn't Rise.....
- A Note from Marcy - September 2005 - Baking By the Code
- A Note from Marcy - August 2005 - The Tao of Pie
- A Note from Marcy - July 2005 - The Journey of the Journal plus Twix Bars!
- A Note from Marcy - June 2005 - A Pastry Chefs Trial by Cheesecakes
- A Note from Marcy - May 2005 - The Frontier Baking Issue/Living Big in a Small Venue
- A Note from Marcy - April 2005 - When Harry Met Salad
- A Note from Marcy - March 2005 - Baking with an Irish Broque; A Romance in the Dairy Queen One Fine March
- A Note from Marcy - February 2005 - She Just Doesnâ€™t Get Him, Valentineâ€™s Day Rebuttal and Cupcakes Galore
- A Note from Marcy - January 2005 - The Art of Changing and Making Space in a New Year
- A Note from Marcy - December 2004 - The Shall We Dance or Shall We Bake, Holiday Baking Issue and an Ode to Dance
- A Note from Marcy - November 2004 - The Bread and Soup Issue and How A Canadian Became Americanized (sort of)
- A Note from Marcy - October 2004 - The Field of Dreams Issue, Baseball and the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - September 2004 - The Catcher of the Rye Issue, What Falls Away, the Sweet Taste of Forgiveness and Letting Go
- A Note from Marcy - August 2004 - Itâ€™s All Greek To Me Issue and The Evils of Multi-Tasking
- A Note from Marcy - July 2004 - The Gone Fishinâ€™ Issue/Summer in the River City, A Bakerâ€™s Musical
- A Note from Marcy - June 2004 - The All That Jazz Issue, How To Scat and Improvise in Wheat
- A Note from Marcy - May 2004 - The Bread and Roses Issue, Goddess, Feminist or Feminineâ€¦and Fudge
- A Note from Marcy - April 2004 - Waiting for Happy, or If I Won the Lotto
- A Note from Marcy - March 2004 - Meet You in the Bookstore, My Love Affair with Books
- A Note from Marcy - February 2004 - Sweets for the Sweet, a Valentine From the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - January 2004 - How To Eat Right or Resolution 2004 â€“ How Not To Diet
- A Note From Marcy - December 2003 - The Sugar and Spice Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2003 - How To Weather the Weather, or Keeping Cozy in Late Fall
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 2) - They Laughed When I Got Up To Bake, Hotel School Trials
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 1) - How I Got Into Baking, A Bakerâ€™s Beginnings Part 1
- A Note from Marcy - September 2003 - Welcome To Wheatland, a bakerâ€™s fantasy or Camelot in Flour
- A Note from Marcy - August 2003 - Notes on Homemade Krispie Kreme Doughnuts
- A Note From Marcy - July 2003 - Memories of Summer Music Camp or Baking to Birdland
- A Note From Marcy - June 2003 - How to Play Hooky in Summer, An Urban Adventure
- May 2017 Big Product Review Feature
- February 2009 Baker's Stash
- April 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash
- October 2008 Baker's Stash
- May 2010 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Issue Baking by Heart Copy
- March 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash
- April 2009 Baker's Stash