February 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash
Triple Chocolate Molten Caramel Cheesecake Stuffed Brownies
Dear Fellow Bakers, Baking Friends, and anyone who likes great food,
It’s one of my favourite of all baking months as if you didn’t know. And it’s not just about the baking – it’s about hearts. I love hearts all year round but come February, they’re everywhere. What is it about hearts that are so cheering?
If hearts don’t do it for you, this issue of BetterBaking.com is packed with decadent goodies to bake and share, mostly in a chocolate theme but I’ve added the Simple Irresistible Caramel Cream Puffs for some amber relief and a free Hungarian Bean Soup and luscious Clementine and Lime Currant Scones for some baker’s version of vitamen C.
Super Bowl Snacks
In case you missed, one of my best snacky food round ups, whether it’s Super Bowl or not.
Pure and Simple Buttermilk Vanilla Pancakes
A comfort food classic that is so good you'll want these both weekend days, causing you to wonder if like Bill Murray of Ground Hog Day movie fame, you're living the same breakfast twice. Worst things can happen. Pancakes or waffles are just the thing for a brunch or a lazy morning.
These are as the name implies, simply irresistible.
Classic Butter Vanilla Cupcakes
Finally, a light, moist golden batter that makes perfect cupcakes. No need to turn to a mix.This is also suitable for sheet cakes and birthday. The icing is the classic butter-confectioners’ sugar one made with pantry ingredients. However, for the better, best, real icing pastry chefs use, find, borrow or steal white fondant (it is soft and comes in pails or bags and decorating places or bakery supply places have it).
Coca Cola Chocolate Cupcakes
These terrific dark chocolate cupcakes, based on a vintage chocolate cake recipe, are perfect for any occasion. No creaming. Easily made by hand. Can be doubled and tripled with perfect results. Cola is the secret ingredient.
Red and White Giant Valentineâ€™s Day Cookies
Like New York Black and White Cookies, these are big, crisp and gorgeous butter sugar cookies. One side is white fondant and the other side is red – very Cupid does Yin Yang. These are, fondant and love notwithstanding, the best sugar cookies on the planet.
Wickedly dark and decadent, this cake sports a touch of bourbon inside (but you can substitute brandy or espresso), and a halo of white chocolate ganache. The texture of this cake is quite unbelievable – it is moist but light, dense, but lofty – frankly, I’ve never created a chocolate cake quite this texture. It stays fresh for days too. This cake is just…divine. It requires a slow bake to keep its wonderful character intact.
White Chocolate Truffle Raspberry Cheesecake
This cake is over the top - in look and in taste. Don't let the components intimidate you.There is no need to do it all in one day. You can freeze the baked cheesecake and garnish with the white chocolate topping and raspberries an hour or so before serving. Work with melted chocolate at room temperature for best results. This is a sublime concoction of all your favorite flavors. Isn't it romantic? Sure, in an over the top, pure seduction sort of way.
Bake this in a heart-shaped cheesecake pan if you have one. A silky, creamy cheesecake is fused to a topping of chocolate covered cherries (you know, the ones you have leftover from the holidays?). The result is a fondant, chocolate 'n cherry molten goo atop of creamy cheesecake. Is this candy, cheesecake, or heaven? This is just another one of my over-the-top cheesecakes.
A 9 cup food processor can handle this recipe but if yours is smaller, switch to your stand mixer for this adult and kid-charming recipe. The Oreo cookie bottom bakes right into the batter making a sweet solid base and nice change of texture as you bit through these gems. Use any type of Oreos you like (Double Stuff or Chocolate or special editions). These are a delicate, black and white cupcake, studded with chopped Oreos on top and a drizzle of chocolate glaze. Great summer food or party fare for kids.
Valentine's Day Truffle Raspberry Cake
A silky, dark chocolate wonder – somewhere between a cake and a torte, this deep, moist cake features fresh raspberries, raspberry eau de vie (if you have it; otherwise use a bit of raspberry extract) and is topped with ganache and dusted with cocoa for a truffle effect. Scharffen Berger semi-sweet chocolate or perfect or any similar high quality chocolate such as Callebaut or Lindt. Garnish with a fresh raspberry or two. For some people, raspberries and chocolate is their fatal attraction. What a way to go......
Shortcake by any other name, in any guise. Heavens ! This is so/so/so good! Berries and a coating of Swiss chocolate on a buttery scone, aka rich, buttery shortcake base. This recipe is the bomb which explains why it is downloaded constantly. It has shades of country fair crossed with Black Forest Cake - Nothing but nothing is as fresh, decadent, and easy or crowd-pleasing as this cake. It makes two small ones or a double decker one. You can make the cake part a day ahead and then assemble minutes before serving or up to 3-4 hours (and refrigerate). You can top this with warm fudge sauce.
Cream Puff Cake
This assembly of choux paste layers makes a giant éclair. Looks like a cake but goes together like pastry. A filling of whipped cream and pudding is a shortcut for “crème légère” (usually made with homemade pastry cream or custard). You may forego the white icing glaze and simply use the melted chocolate.
Previous Monthly Essays from A Note From Marcy:
Essays to tickle your funny bone, wake up your inner baker, twinge on your heartstrings, or make you smile and say, ‘I’ve know the feeling; I know the place”. If you missed an essay, or a season in baking or inner sensibility, we invite you to stroll through our archived Notes From Marcy.
- December 2013 A Note from Marcy - December 2013
- December 2013 A Note from Marcy - December 2013
- November 2013 A Note from Marcy - November 2013
- October 2013 A Note from Marcy - October 2013
- September 2013 A Note from Marcy - September 2013
- August 2013 A Note from Marcy - August 2013
- July 2013 A Note from Marcy - July 2013
- June 2013 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - June 2013
- May 2013 A Note from Marcy - May 2013
- April 2013 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - April 2013
- March 2013 A Note from Marcy - March 2013
- February 2013 A Note from Marcy - February 2013
- January 2013 A Note from Marcy - January 2013
- December 2012 A Note from Marcy - December 2012
- December 2012 A Note from Marcy - December 2012
- November 2012 A Note from Marcy - November 2012
- October 2012 A Note from Marcy - October 2012
- September 2012 A Note from Marcy - September 2012
- August 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - August 2012
- July 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - July 2012
- TeamBuy.ca and BetterBaking.com Subscription Special! - June 2012
- May 2012 A Note from Marcy - May 2012
- April 2012 Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - April 2012
- March 2012 A Note From Marcy - March 2012
- February 2012 A Note from Marcy - February 2012
- January 2012 A Note from Marcy - January 2012
- December 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - December 2011
- November 2011 Note from Marcy Bakers Stash - November 2011
- October 2011 Note From Marcy Baker's Stash - October 2011
- October 2011 A Note From Marcy - October 2011
- September 2011 A Note from Marcy - September 2011
- August 2011 Note From Marcy - August 2011
- August 2011 (1) Note From Marcy - August 2011
- June 2011 Note from Marcy - June 2011
- May 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - May 2011
- March 2011 A Note From Marcy - March 2011
- February 2011 A Note From Marcy, Baker's Stash - February 2011
- January 2011 A Note from Marcy - January 2011
- December 2010
- December 2010 Baker's Stash - December 2010
- November 2010 Baker's Stash - November 2010
- October 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - October 2010
- September 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - September 2010
- August 2010 Baker's Stash - August 2010
- July 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note from Marcy - July 2010
- June 2010 Baker's Stash - June 2010
- April 2010 BAKER'S STASH - April 2010
- March 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note From Marcy - March 2010
- 2003-2007 PAST ISSUES Note from Marcy & Recipes - February 2010
- JANUARY 2010 BAKER'S STASH - January 2010
- December 2009 Baker's Stash - December 2009
- September 2009 Baker's Stash - September 2009
- April 2009 Bakers Stash - April 2009
- March 2009 Baker's Stash Baking With Mom, Feminist in the Kitchen and some Retro - March 2009
- January 2009 Baker's Stash - January 2009
- December 2008 Baker's Stash - December 2008
- November 2008 A Note From Marcy - November 2008
- A note from Marcy - December 2007
- A Note from Marcy - February 2007 - An Oreo Love Affair
- A Note from Marcy - January 2007 - When Bakers Cook, Recipes deChef
- A Note from Marcy - December 2006 - Shortbread and Other Favorite Things
- A Note from Marcy - November 2006 - Thank Goodness for Pie
- A Note from Marcy - October 2006 - A Salute to Chocolate Chip Cookies
- A Note from Marcy - September 2006 - The Back to School Carrot Cake Issue
- A Note From Marcy - August 2006 - The Sourdough Magic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - July 2006 - The Annual BB Picnic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - June 2006 - The Bountiful Berry Issue
- A Note from Marcy - May 2006 - Pride and Pastry or Tea With Jane
- A Note from Marcy - April 2006 - The Breakfast Baking Issue and Fresh Starts
- A Note from Marcy March 2006 Passion - Gettin' Some - March 2006 - Havana A Heat Wave, Baking with A Latin Beat and The Passion Play
- A Note from Marcy - February 2006 - Memoirs of A Geisha Baking, Valentineâ€™s Sweets
- A Note from Marcy - January 2006 - The You're Toast, A Salute To Slicing Loaves and More
- A Note from Marcy - December 2005 - Bake It Forward, Gift Baking Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2005 - Open Hearth Hosting or Guess Who's Coming For Dinner
- A Note from Marcy - October 2005 - It All Happens for a Reason or Sometimes Bread Just Doesn't Rise.....
- A Note from Marcy - September 2005 - Baking By the Code
- A Note from Marcy - August 2005 - The Tao of Pie
- A Note from Marcy - July 2005 - The Journey of the Journal plus Twix Bars!
- A Note from Marcy - June 2005 - A Pastry Chefs Trial by Cheesecakes
- A Note from Marcy - May 2005 - The Frontier Baking Issue/Living Big in a Small Venue
- A Note from Marcy - April 2005 - When Harry Met Salad
- A Note from Marcy - March 2005 - Baking with an Irish Broque; A Romance in the Dairy Queen One Fine March
- A Note from Marcy - February 2005 - She Just Doesnâ€™t Get Him, Valentineâ€™s Day Rebuttal and Cupcakes Galore
- A Note from Marcy - January 2005 - The Art of Changing and Making Space in a New Year
- A Note from Marcy - December 2004 - The Shall We Dance or Shall We Bake, Holiday Baking Issue and an Ode to Dance
- A Note from Marcy - November 2004 - The Bread and Soup Issue and How A Canadian Became Americanized (sort of)
- A Note from Marcy - October 2004 - The Field of Dreams Issue, Baseball and the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - September 2004 - The Catcher of the Rye Issue, What Falls Away, the Sweet Taste of Forgiveness and Letting Go
- A Note from Marcy - August 2004 - Itâ€™s All Greek To Me Issue and The Evils of Multi-Tasking
- A Note from Marcy - July 2004 - The Gone Fishinâ€™ Issue/Summer in the River City, A Bakerâ€™s Musical
- A Note from Marcy - June 2004 - The All That Jazz Issue, How To Scat and Improvise in Wheat
- A Note from Marcy - May 2004 - The Bread and Roses Issue, Goddess, Feminist or Feminineâ€¦and Fudge
- A Note from Marcy - April 2004 - Waiting for Happy, or If I Won the Lotto
- A Note from Marcy - March 2004 - Meet You in the Bookstore, My Love Affair with Books
- A Note from Marcy - February 2004 - Sweets for the Sweet, a Valentine From the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - January 2004 - How To Eat Right or Resolution 2004 â€“ How Not To Diet
- A Note From Marcy - December 2003 - The Sugar and Spice Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2003 - How To Weather the Weather, or Keeping Cozy in Late Fall
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 2) - They Laughed When I Got Up To Bake, Hotel School Trials
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 1) - How I Got Into Baking, A Bakerâ€™s Beginnings Part 1
- A Note from Marcy - September 2003 - Welcome To Wheatland, a bakerâ€™s fantasy or Camelot in Flour
- A Note from Marcy - August 2003 - Notes on Homemade Krispie Kreme Doughnuts
- A Note From Marcy - July 2003 - Memories of Summer Music Camp or Baking to Birdland
- A Note From Marcy - June 2003 - How to Play Hooky in Summer, An Urban Adventure
- October 2008 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Issue Baking by Heart Copy
- March 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash
- Free Bonus Cronut Recipe!
- September 2008 Baker's Stash
- May 2010 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Baker's Stash
- April 2009 Baker's Stash