August 2010 Baker's Stash
Dear Fellow Bakers and Friends,
Where did July go? It’s still summer of course, as the plethora of peach recipes this month will attest to, but July was a strange and short month. Lots of family things to tend to, writing and reflection – and many nice times with friends, writing at cafes with my journal, lunches at outdoor concerts or strolling the outdoor markets of Montreal and dancing in the park.
I would like to announce at change on BB. It is, as always still here but I am phasing out the Complete Recipe Archive subscriptions. Before it is phased out completely however, I am offering for a limited grace time, (until September 10th) Complete Recipe Archive sign-ons one last time. It is $29.99 and ends December 31st 2010. In other words, you have an opportunity to enjoy (if you are not already a member) 5 months more of complete access.
I will still be offering free monthly recipes and bonus ones via Twitter. The Pay-By-Recipe option remains and of course there are my three print cookbooks available at all major bookstores and Amazon. But the full access to all my recipes online is no longer an option (but you have until September 10th to sign on and have a 5 month window of full access if you like). The BB newsletter is the same and don’t forget you can also follow me on Twitter. For current subscribers, who subscriptions end months from now, nothing is affected; your subscriptions will continue until they expire.
I appreciate the Complete Recipe Archives is a resource for many of you (and for me too). Thank you for your subscribing over the years but it’s just not feasible to offer all the recipes, in this subscriptive fashion, at this time. Beyond that, I want my worklife online and off, more pure and simple.
I still have a vision for BB and after trying to impose that vision on the universe (i.e. I want things done this way and in this time frame) I think I need focus on the logistics of my broader writing and food life and see how it evolves. I sooner leave things as they are and start anew. Think of this as a parent leaving the nest rather than the kids flying the coop. I will leave BB intact (with all its retro design and funky software you've all been so good about) and keep it updated in a modest way. But I also hope to find breathing room, focus, and a chance to write the bigger, bolder works I am so yearning to embark on - rather than splice up the baking with too much romance and tango. Too much heat for one kitchen - at least in this venue. As a parent leaving the nest, I will also likely launch a pied a terre, my own pad, aka a blog, all fresh and new. But let me reassure you, I am always, and as ever, in touch with you, still baking, writing, dancing, and creating scents in and out of the kitchen. How does the song from Dream Girls go? I'm not going but I am definitely changing. And I am taking you with me so don't fret.
Chef’s Tip – Better Vinaigrette
On another note, I mentioned last month I would be sharing more chef’s expertise. As it is still warm and summery, what comes to mind is salad dressing. We all make one or two vinaigrettes and I am sure you have superb recipes of your own. But here’s something I learned in chef’s school that still makes so much sense. When you make vinaigrette, recipes usually say to add salt, spices, etc. to the oil. In other words, you mix vinegar and mustard and garlic (most often) and then blend in oil, spices, salt and pepper. The thing is, salt will never
dissolve (nor dry herbs hydrate) in oil. The salt is there but stays suspended, so to speak, in the oil. The best way is to blend vinegar (or lemon juice), salt, pepper, mustard, and dry herbs (or fresh) together. That dissolves the salt t the least. Then, blend in the oil – all at once or in a stream (with that faint hope we all have that it will emulsify). You can try this method in a classic salad dressing such as Classic Dijon Garlic Vinaigrette
I wish you a wonderful August, warmth without sweat and peachy baking.
Happy baking and sweet times in the kitchen and life,
Peach Smash Pie !!!FREE !!!
Master Baker, Author
Smashingly good, fast and ambrosial – this pie takes a unique method, fresh summery peaches and produces: heaven.
Sour Cream Peaches 'N Almond Crunch Muffins
Almonds, oatmeal, vanilla and a shower of fresh peach chunks tucked into a summery muffin. An all-time BB favorite whether you're a Georgia Peach or not.
I’ve made a version of this cake for years – it is one from my personal repertoire of favorites. It’s moist, flavorful and replete with hunks of chocolate, sweet raisins and chunks of both semi-sweet and milk chocolate. Although it says ‘bundt’ cake, do as I do, not as I say –use an angel food cake pan for best results. This only needs a dusting of confectioners’ sugar but melted chocolate is also divine.
Our Best Fresh Corn Fritters
Golden morsels of corn in a light batter. Pile ‘em high and watch them disappear.
Peachy Cobbler Squares
French Bakery Raspberry Buns
Great flavor in a small bite. This features a buttery tart dough as the base, topped with fresh diced peaches and then a shower of shredded tart dough. Once baked, you have a sweet sunrise in a gorgeous square or bar that will be the envy of the local Starbucks.
Georgia Peach Pie
Georgia on your mind? I don't doubt it - with a beautiful sweet sunrise of a pie basking on the dessert table. Talk about a pie hamming it up.
The bakery near me has done it again. They recently served samples of delicious, sweet yeast buns – rather flat, half-moon things, filled with raspberries and sugar and nothing else. No gummy stuff, no cornstarch and no fillers. It was fabulous and so, I hope, are my own rendition.
Chocolate Orange Frangelico Hazelnut Brownies
Smooth as silk this is a bouquet of orange, hazelnuts and decadent Frangelico (hazelnut liqueur) and a ton of chocolate. Each good on their own but the trio becomes a symphony in our favorite thing : brownies.
Arcade Fire Deep Chocolate Cake with White Lightening Icing
This is one amazing cake – much like the Indie, now-famous band it was created for. Imagine a dark, dense chocolate cake – a hunk of cake, all topped with an old-fashioned white, butter-based icing like Woolworth’s and diners used to sell. Don’t bother washing the knife you cut this with; just leave it in the cake pan. This is made to tote for a beach party, tailgate BBQ, or to celebrate Father’s Day. It can be made in advance and pleases kids and adults alike. It’s the sort of cake you expect to find on a picnic bench, with people strolling over for just ‘one more small piece”. Work off the calories with a little beach volleyball.
Chicken Caesar Salad With Asiago Cheese
Chicken Caesar salad, done right, makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, it is often served with cold, flavourless, strips of chicken breast, gloppy insipid dressing, and rumour of garlic. The days of raw egg in Caesar salad dressing are gone, I’m afraid, and creamy Caesar dressing is the new norm, but quickness of preparation is a bonus. Pay attention to detail in this combination and you will have a stellar salad that hits all the right notes. Fresh Parmesan is a must always!
Previous Monthly Essays from A Note From Marcy:
Essays to tickle your funny bone, wake up your inner baker, twinge on your heartstrings, or make you smile and say, ‘I’ve know the feeling; I know the place”. If you missed an essay, or a season in baking or inner sensibility, we invite you to stroll through our archived Notes From Marcy.
- The New Cookbook is Here! Black Friday Promotion! - November 2014
- November 2014 A Note From Marcy - November 2014
- October A Note from Marcy - October 2014
- September A Note from Marcy - September 2014
- August 2014 A Note from Marcy - August 2014
- Hachette Vs Amazon, a Cookbook Author's response - August 2014
- July 2014 A Note from Marcy - July 2014
- June 2014 A Note from Marcy - June 2014
- May 2014 A Note from Marcy - May 2014
- April 2014 A Note from Marcy - April 2014
- March 2014 A Note from Marcy - March 2014
- FEBRUARY 2014 A Note from Marcy - February 2014
- BB SUBSCRIPTION SALE - February 2014
- January 2014 A Note from Marcy - January 2014
- December 2013 A Note from Marcy - December 2013
- November 2013 A Note from Marcy - November 2013
- October 2013 A Note from Marcy - October 2013
- September 2013 A Note from Marcy - September 2013
- August 2013 A Note from Marcy - August 2013
- July 2013 A Note from Marcy - July 2013
- June 2013 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - June 2013
- May 2013 A Note from Marcy - May 2013
- April 2013 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - April 2013
- March 2013 A Note from Marcy - March 2013
- February 2013 A Note from Marcy - February 2013
- January 2013 A Note from Marcy - January 2013
- December 2012 A Note from Marcy - December 2012
- November 2012 A Note from Marcy - November 2012
- October 2012 A Note from Marcy - October 2012
- September 2012 A Note from Marcy - September 2012
- August 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - August 2012
- July 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - July 2012
- TeamBuy.ca and BetterBaking.com Subscription Special! - June 2012
- May 2012 A Note from Marcy - May 2012
- April 2012 Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - April 2012
- March 2012 A Note From Marcy - March 2012
- February 2012 A Note from Marcy - February 2012
- January 2012 A Note from Marcy - January 2012
- December 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - December 2011
- November 2011 Note from Marcy Bakers Stash - November 2011
- October 2011 Note From Marcy Baker's Stash - October 2011
- September 2011 A Note from Marcy - September 2011
- August 2011 (1) Note From Marcy - August 2011
- June 2011 Note from Marcy - June 2011
- May 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - May 2011
- March 2011 A Note From Marcy - March 2011
- February 2011 A Note From Marcy, Baker's Stash - February 2011
- January 2011 A Note from Marcy - January 2011
- December 2010 Baker's Stash - December 2010
- November 2010 Baker's Stash - November 2010
- October 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - October 2010
- September 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - September 2010
- July 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note from Marcy - July 2010
- June 2010 Baker's Stash - June 2010
- April 2010 BAKER'S STASH - April 2010
- March 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note From Marcy - March 2010
- 2003-2007 PAST ISSUES Note from Marcy & Recipes - February 2010
- JANUARY 2010 BAKER'S STASH - January 2010
- December 2009 Baker's Stash - December 2009
- September 2009 Baker's Stash - September 2009
- April 2009 Bakers Stash - April 2009
- March 2009 Baker's Stash Baking With Mom, Feminist in the Kitchen and some Retro - March 2009
- February 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash - February 2009
- January 2009 Baker's Stash - January 2009
- December 2008 Baker's Stash - December 2008
- November 2008 A Note From Marcy - November 2008
- A note from Marcy - December 2007
- A Note from Marcy - February 2007 - An Oreo Love Affair
- A Note from Marcy - January 2007 - When Bakers Cook, Recipes deChef
- A Note from Marcy - December 2006 - Shortbread and Other Favorite Things
- A Note from Marcy - November 2006 - Thank Goodness for Pie
- A Note from Marcy - October 2006 - A Salute to Chocolate Chip Cookies
- A Note from Marcy - September 2006 - The Back to School Carrot Cake Issue
- A Note From Marcy - August 2006 - The Sourdough Magic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - July 2006 - The Annual BB Picnic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - June 2006 - The Bountiful Berry Issue
- A Note from Marcy - May 2006 - Pride and Pastry or Tea With Jane
- A Note from Marcy - April 2006 - The Breakfast Baking Issue and Fresh Starts
- A Note from Marcy March 2006 Passion - Gettin' Some - March 2006 - Havana A Heat Wave, Baking with A Latin Beat and The Passion Play
- A Note from Marcy - February 2006 - Memoirs of A Geisha Baking, Valentineâ€™s Sweets
- A Note from Marcy - January 2006 - The You're Toast, A Salute To Slicing Loaves and More
- A Note from Marcy - December 2005 - Bake It Forward, Gift Baking Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2005 - Open Hearth Hosting or Guess Who's Coming For Dinner
- A Note from Marcy - October 2005 - It All Happens for a Reason or Sometimes Bread Just Doesn't Rise.....
- A Note from Marcy - September 2005 - Baking By the Code
- A Note from Marcy - August 2005 - The Tao of Pie
- A Note from Marcy - July 2005 - The Journey of the Journal plus Twix Bars!
- A Note from Marcy - June 2005 - A Pastry Chefs Trial by Cheesecakes
- A Note from Marcy - May 2005 - The Frontier Baking Issue/Living Big in a Small Venue
- A Note from Marcy - April 2005 - When Harry Met Salad
- A Note from Marcy - March 2005 - Baking with an Irish Broque; A Romance in the Dairy Queen One Fine March
- A Note from Marcy - February 2005 - She Just Doesnâ€™t Get Him, Valentineâ€™s Day Rebuttal and Cupcakes Galore
- A Note from Marcy - January 2005 - The Art of Changing and Making Space in a New Year
- A Note from Marcy - December 2004 - The Shall We Dance or Shall We Bake, Holiday Baking Issue and an Ode to Dance
- A Note from Marcy - November 2004 - The Bread and Soup Issue and How A Canadian Became Americanized (sort of)
- A Note from Marcy - October 2004 - The Field of Dreams Issue, Baseball and the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - September 2004 - The Catcher of the Rye Issue, What Falls Away, the Sweet Taste of Forgiveness and Letting Go
- A Note from Marcy - August 2004 - Itâ€™s All Greek To Me Issue and The Evils of Multi-Tasking
- A Note from Marcy - July 2004 - The Gone Fishinâ€™ Issue/Summer in the River City, A Bakerâ€™s Musical
- A Note from Marcy - June 2004 - The All That Jazz Issue, How To Scat and Improvise in Wheat
- A Note from Marcy - May 2004 - The Bread and Roses Issue, Goddess, Feminist or Feminineâ€¦and Fudge
- A Note from Marcy - April 2004 - Waiting for Happy, or If I Won the Lotto
- A Note from Marcy - March 2004 - Meet You in the Bookstore, My Love Affair with Books
- A Note from Marcy - February 2004 - Sweets for the Sweet, a Valentine From the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - January 2004 - How To Eat Right or Resolution 2004 â€“ How Not To Diet
- A Note From Marcy - December 2003 - The Sugar and Spice Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2003 - How To Weather the Weather, or Keeping Cozy in Late Fall
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 2) - They Laughed When I Got Up To Bake, Hotel School Trials
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 1) - How I Got Into Baking, A Bakerâ€™s Beginnings Part 1
- A Note from Marcy - September 2003 - Welcome To Wheatland, a bakerâ€™s fantasy or Camelot in Flour
- A Note from Marcy - August 2003 - Notes on Homemade Krispie Kreme Doughnuts
- A Note From Marcy - July 2003 - Memories of Summer Music Camp or Baking to Birdland
- A Note From Marcy - June 2003 - How to Play Hooky in Summer, An Urban Adventure
- October 2008 Baker's Stash
- May 2010 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Issue Baking by Heart Copy
- March 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash
- April 2009 Baker's Stash
- April 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash
- September 2008 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Baker's Stash
- The Baker's Four Seasons by Marcy Goldman
- Free Bonus Cronut Recipe!