October 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash
It's Cookie Time in the BB Kitchen! Free Cookie Recipes and more....
Dear Bakers and Friends,
This baker is off to the fall-gorgeous countryside to attend a family apple pressing so the October Issue of BetterBaking.com is a bit early. You knew September was a short month, didn’t you? But before I am off, I am offering a harvest of recipe treats from scones to breads with a special focus on cookies.
It is major cookie time and I bless that on the autumn mood, back-to-school chaos and mood in the air (it is slightly overcast and calling for nibbles). Recently, when my crystal cookie jars starting protesting the baker’s largesse, I went and bought several dollar-store and Bulk Barn cookie jars (at $4.99 for huge and pretty jars, how can you miss?)
I make batches and batches of dough (mostly rugulah dough, oatmeal and chocolate chip cookie dough) and once a week, one batch of stay-fresh biscotti (it’s starts crisp and dunkable and stays that way). Yes, when do I have time? I just stock pile dough and then bake off a dozen cookies about 2-3 times a week. The sound of those lids being lifted and replaced is still, after all this time, music to my ears. Plus if you have stocked cookie jars, guests seem to drop by and you are always prepared. Talk about hostess with the mostess. The trick is finding recipes that keep at room temperature, don’t jar ‘em up until they are perfectly cooled, and bake small batches. Below are three of my favorites recipes – all free – to start you off.
Free Apple Cider?
Fresh news for October 2010! I am delighted to welcome www.CanadianFavourites.com to the BB family. Finally, we all have a source to get famed Tim Horton Coffee, Red River Cereal, and even amazing Canadian Bread Flour. We are also testing out some new products such as Van Dyk’s Wild Blueberry Juice (have it over chilled Pelligrino and ice) and Black Bear Fruit Co. Syrups. But the main thrill is that we now, at last, have a place to go for all the Canuck foods that some of us (even in Canada) can’t always get. Free Apple Cider - for the month of October 2010, just mention “Marcy Sent Me” in the comments/text field of your order and a free sample of Lynch Gourmet Olde Style Hot Apple MAPLE Cider 23g (caffeine free) will automatically be included in your parcel. Feel the warm glow this fall/winter season and discover products you may have missed for years (if you are a Canadian outside the borders or in a part of the country that might not be carrying your personal favourites).
Speaking of Canadian favourites, many of you write and ask me where to get the famous, heavy duty commercial bread pan by Lockwood Manufacturing
in Canada that measures about 5 by 10 inches and is ‘the pan’ for all my big breads and challahs. Nothing compares to this beauty and it’s unbelievably hard to find (online bakery suppliers just don’t seem to stock it so it’s remained a secret of commercial bakers). Then I had an idea – why not just contact Lockwood? They are the folks that make this great loaf pan along with my preferred, commercially glazed, non-stick muffin pan (it lasts for years (doesn’t always look pretty but stands up to a beating). All my Lawsuit Muffins have been baked in these pans since 1981). So more good news – with any luck, soon we will (Lockwood, BB and maybe an online retailer or two) will be carrying the pans. Stay tuned. www.lockwoodmfg.ca/main/index.php
Lockwood pans are not Food Network beautiful but they are beasts of burden and put anything else to shame. It is not an understatement to say they are a good 30% of your recipes’ success.
Yin Yan or Black and White Biscotti
This is a beautiful biscotti that was originally created for a feature in the now defunct Coffee Journal Magazine, a periodical way ahead of its time. I then put the recipe in The Coffee Bistro Cookbook, a cookbook that never saw the light of day (although it is still listed on Amazon I think). Long story on that….Recently a BB visitor reminded me of this recipe and I had to go a few miles to fish it out but it is worth it. A chocolate biscotti, uplifted with chunks of white chocolate. It’s Yin Yan for the decadent.
Chocolate Almost Cherry Garcia Cookies
Inspired by Ben and Jerry's wonderful Cherry Garcia ice cream, this chocolate version is chock full of dried, sour cherries, chunks of white and dark chocolate and buttery pecans, which inset in a rich chocolate cookie dough. Marinating the cherries overnight in cherry liqueur greatly adds to the bouquet of flavor in these cookies but if you are in a hurry for cookie nirvana, you can omit this bit of prep
Salvadoran Onion and Pepper Salad
How can something simple taste so good? Small, buttery, luscious cookies that marked the second coming of Tollhouse. It’s all in the chocolate you use.
Ahoy Matey Chocolate Chip Cookies
Little appetites like cookies like the ‘store’. There’s no accounting for taste. These are however, like the ‘store’ brand but healthier because they are homemade. Still crunchy, fun, and with that commercial flair.
McDonalds Style Chocolate Chip Cookies
McCookies at home. The real deal, real easy….just try them. A birthday party must, a bakesale favorite.
I don’t know how urban legends start. There is salmon in the dishwasher, grilled cheese sandwiches made on engine blocks and this fabulous cookie recipe. The story of this recipe (check on Google) never fails to charm, nor does the cookie.
Another $250.00 cookie recipe.The real McCoy purportedly as served from Nieman Marcus restaurant.
Tollhouse Chocolate Chunk Scones
Rich, tender, flaky. Golden, brown sugar scones, chunked up a notch.
Chunks of Swiss chocolate in a vanilla and cream scone batter.
Whole wheat goodness - just the thing in a big, flavorful country bread. This is a great slicing and toast bread and as good on day three as it is just out of the oven.
Halloween & Canadian Thanksgiving Treats
Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Leftover pumpkin bread (or even honey cake) is sublime, baked up into this spice and vanilla, gorgeous, decadent bread pudding. Serve warm as comfort food with crème anglaise or in cold, midnight snack hunks.
Applesauce Sour Cream Pound Cake FREE!! and a head's up on my favorite angel food cake pan from www.Nordicware.com
Big, bold, moist, simple – hey, give me a slice! This cake calls for raisins and nuts but it's also very winning made with dried or fresh cranberries, chocolate chunks or just wonderful with nothing added. The scent of this baking will bring crowds to your kitchen. I don't think I have ever made a cake that has a better perfume-while-baking than this cake!
Check out the Nordicware angel pans for the best results for this and any other pound or Bundt cake recipe.
Diner Style Old Fashioned Brown Sugar Oatmeal Apple Crisp
If you can’t remember the last time you had this, it is time to make it again. Enjoy the mellow taste of apples, set in a caramelized foundation, and topped with a nutty, brown sugar and oatmeal crisp topping. This is also sublime with diced apricots or the fresh pears of fall and can turn an omelet and baguette supper into a feast.
A sumptuous, tender turkey that is as good, if not better, than traditional roast turkey. Fail proof and flavorful.
Tender Sweet Pumpkin Baby Cakes
Don’t forget Halloween! Nothing to get spooked about with these tender, spice-kissed pumpkin cupcakes. Frost white or orange, and add some black licorice or candy corn. Treat, no trick!
BB's Complete Thanksgiving Complete Recipe Menu
A special promotion of the now famous 9 of my special recipes that celebrate Thanksgiving (Canadian or American) including, Old Fashioned Perfect Roast Turkey, Best Thanksgiving Stuffing Not-Out-of-a-Box, Layered 'N Baked Best Ever Cranberry Sauce, Best Ever Giblet Gravy,Thanksgiving Scalloped Potatoes, Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, and Durkee Green Onion Casserole, Thanksgiving Roasted Sweet Potato and Marshmallow Casserole, and of course a vanilla-kissed, BB Classic Pumpkin Pie. One batch, one price - just print it out and head to the kitchen. Check out the Thanksgiving Breads Collection, Cranberry Collection and BB Thanksgiving Desserts - all on promotion this month -many recipes/one price.
Previous Monthly Essays from A Note From Marcy:
Essays to tickle your funny bone, wake up your inner baker, twinge on your heartstrings, or make you smile and say, ‘I’ve know the feeling; I know the place”. If you missed an essay, or a season in baking or inner sensibility, we invite you to stroll through our archived Notes From Marcy.
- October 2016 A Note from Marcy - October 2016
- October 2016 A Note from Marcy - October 2016
- September 2016 A Note from Marcy - September 2016
- August 2016 A Note from Marcy - August 2016
- July 2016 A Note from Marcy - June 2016
- June 2016 A Note from Marcy - June 2016
- MAY 2016 A Note from Marcy - May 2016
- April 2016 A Note from Marcy - April 2016
- March 2016 A Note from Marcy - March 2016
- February 2016 A Note from Marcy - February 2016
- January 2016 A Note from Marcy - January 2016
- December 2015 A Note from Marcy - December 2015
- November 2015 A Note from Marcy - November 2015
- September 2015 A Note from Marcy - September 2015
- August 2015 A Note from Marcy - August 2015
- July 2015 A Note from Marcy - July 2015
- June 2015 A Note from Marcy - June 2015
- May 2015 A Note from Marcy - May 2015
- April 2015 A Note from Marcy - April 2015
- March 2015 A Note from Marcy - March 2015
- February 2015 A Note from Marcy - February 2015
- January 2015 A Note from Marcy - January 2015
- December 2014 A Note from Marcy - December 2014
- November 2014 A Note From Marcy - November 2014
- October A Note from Marcy - October 2014
- September 2014 A Note from Marcy - September 2014
- August 2014 A Note from Marcy - August 2014
- July 2014 A Note from Marcy - July 2014
- June 2014 A Note from Marcy - June 2014
- May 2014 A Note from Marcy - May 2014
- April 2014 A Note from Marcy - April 2014
- March 2014 A Note from Marcy - March 2014
- February 2014 A Note from Marcy - February 2014
- January 2014 A Note from Marcy - January 2014
- December 2013 A Note from Marcy - December 2013
- November 2013 A Note from Marcy - November 2013
- October 2013 A Note from Marcy - October 2013
- September 2013 A Note from Marcy - September 2013
- August 2013 A Note from Marcy - August 2013
- July 2013 A Note from Marcy - July 2013
- June 2013 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - June 2013
- May 2013 A Note from Marcy - May 2013
- April 2013 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - April 2013
- March 2013 A Note from Marcy - March 2013
- February 2013 A Note from Marcy - February 2013
- January 2013 A Note from Marcy - January 2013
- December 2012 A Note from Marcy - December 2012
- November 2012 A Note from Marcy - November 2012
- October 2012 A Note from Marcy - October 2012
- September 2012 A Note from Marcy - September 2012
- August 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - August 2012
- July 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - July 2012
- May 2012 A Note from Marcy - May 2012
- April 2012 Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - April 2012
- March 2012 A Note From Marcy - March 2012
- February 2012 A Note from Marcy - February 2012
- January 2012 A Note from Marcy - January 2012
- December 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - December 2011
- November 2011 Note from Marcy Bakers Stash - November 2011
- October 2011 Note From Marcy Baker's Stash - October 2011
- September 2011 A Note from Marcy - September 2011
- August 2011 (1) Note From Marcy - August 2011
- June 2011 Note from Marcy - June 2011
- May 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - May 2011
- March 2011 A Note From Marcy - March 2011
- February 2011 A Note From Marcy, Baker's Stash - February 2011
- January 2011 A Note from Marcy - January 2011
- December 2010 Baker's Stash - December 2010
- November 2010 Baker's Stash - November 2010
- September 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - September 2010
- August 2010 Baker's Stash - August 2010
- July 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note from Marcy - July 2010
- June 2010 Baker's Stash - June 2010
- April 2010 BAKER'S STASH - April 2010
- March 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note From Marcy - March 2010
- 2003-2007 PAST ISSUES Note from Marcy & Recipes - February 2010
- January 2010 Baker's Stash - January 2010
- December 2009 Baker's Stash - December 2009
- September 2009 Baker's Stash - September 2009
- April 2009 Bakers Stash - April 2009
- March 2009 Baker's Stash Baking With Mom, Feminist in the Kitchen and some Retro - March 2009
- February 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash - February 2009
- January 2009 Baker's Stash - January 2009
- December 2008 Baker's Stash - December 2008
- November 2008 A Note From Marcy - November 2008
- September 2008 Baker's Stash - September 2008
- A note from Marcy - December 2007
- A Note from Marcy - February 2007 - An Oreo Love Affair
- A Note from Marcy - January 2007 - When Bakers Cook, Recipes deChef
- A Note from Marcy - December 2006 - Shortbread and Other Favorite Things
- A Note from Marcy - November 2006 - Thank Goodness for Pie
- A Note from Marcy - October 2006 - A Salute to Chocolate Chip Cookies
- A Note from Marcy - September 2006 - The Back to School Carrot Cake Issue
- A Note From Marcy - August 2006 - The Sourdough Magic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - July 2006 - The Annual BB Picnic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - June 2006 - The Bountiful Berry Issue
- A Note from Marcy - May 2006 - Pride and Pastry or Tea With Jane
- A Note from Marcy - April 2006 - The Breakfast Baking Issue and Fresh Starts
- A Note from Marcy March 2006 Passion - Gettin' Some - March 2006 - Havana A Heat Wave, Baking with A Latin Beat and The Passion Play
- A Note from Marcy - February 2006 - Memoirs of A Geisha Baking, Valentineâ€™s Sweets
- A Note from Marcy - January 2006 - The You're Toast, A Salute To Slicing Loaves and More
- A Note from Marcy - December 2005 - Bake It Forward, Gift Baking Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2005 - Open Hearth Hosting or Guess Who's Coming For Dinner
- A Note from Marcy - October 2005 - It All Happens for a Reason or Sometimes Bread Just Doesn't Rise.....
- A Note from Marcy - September 2005 - Baking By the Code
- A Note from Marcy - August 2005 - The Tao of Pie
- A Note from Marcy - July 2005 - The Journey of the Journal plus Twix Bars!
- A Note from Marcy - June 2005 - A Pastry Chefs Trial by Cheesecakes
- A Note from Marcy - May 2005 - The Frontier Baking Issue/Living Big in a Small Venue
- A Note from Marcy - April 2005 - When Harry Met Salad
- A Note from Marcy - March 2005 - Baking with an Irish Broque; A Romance in the Dairy Queen One Fine March
- A Note from Marcy - February 2005 - She Just Doesnâ€™t Get Him, Valentineâ€™s Day Rebuttal and Cupcakes Galore
- A Note from Marcy - January 2005 - The Art of Changing and Making Space in a New Year
- A Note from Marcy - December 2004 - The Shall We Dance or Shall We Bake, Holiday Baking Issue and an Ode to Dance
- A Note from Marcy - November 2004 - The Bread and Soup Issue and How A Canadian Became Americanized (sort of)
- A Note from Marcy - October 2004 - The Field of Dreams Issue, Baseball and the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - September 2004 - The Catcher of the Rye Issue, What Falls Away, the Sweet Taste of Forgiveness and Letting Go
- A Note from Marcy - August 2004 - Itâ€™s All Greek To Me Issue and The Evils of Multi-Tasking
- A Note from Marcy - July 2004 - The Gone Fishinâ€™ Issue/Summer in the River City, A Bakerâ€™s Musical
- A Note from Marcy - June 2004 - The All That Jazz Issue, How To Scat and Improvise in Wheat
- A Note from Marcy - May 2004 - The Bread and Roses Issue, Goddess, Feminist or Feminineâ€¦and Fudge
- A Note from Marcy - April 2004 - Waiting for Happy, or If I Won the Lotto
- A Note from Marcy - March 2004 - Meet You in the Bookstore, My Love Affair with Books
- A Note from Marcy - February 2004 - Sweets for the Sweet, a Valentine From the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - January 2004 - How To Eat Right or Resolution 2004 â€“ How Not To Diet
- A Note From Marcy - December 2003 - The Sugar and Spice Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2003 - How To Weather the Weather, or Keeping Cozy in Late Fall
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 2) - They Laughed When I Got Up To Bake, Hotel School Trials
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 1) - How I Got Into Baking, A Bakerâ€™s Beginnings Part 1
- A Note from Marcy - September 2003 - Welcome To Wheatland, a bakerâ€™s fantasy or Camelot in Flour
- A Note from Marcy - August 2003 - Notes on Homemade Krispie Kreme Doughnuts
- A Note From Marcy - July 2003 - Memories of Summer Music Camp or Baking to Birdland
- A Note From Marcy - June 2003 - How to Play Hooky in Summer, An Urban Adventure
- October 2008 Baker's Stash
- May 2010 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Issue Baking by Heart Copy
- March 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash
- April 2009 Baker's Stash
- April 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Baker's Stash