May 2012 A Note from Marcy
Dear Fellow Bakers and Friends,
This is a special week first week of May marks not only my birthday but my website’s 15th year anniversary online. I could say allot or a little and I think I will go with less is more. In short, I cannot imagine it’s been fifteen years. How the time flies when you’re baking fun.
A decade and a half – wow. How did I do this? I never thought the Internet would hang around for one thing – I rather thought it was a lark that I could dabble in and then it would or I would, stop. I didn’t really think it would go away but like many of you, I also never imagined it would explode and evolve as it did. I never envisioned I would also keep publishing my baking magazine throughout.
There is a website called Way Back Machine http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://betterbaking.com and it used to show most of my original BB covers (and so did I when I was able to archive things more efficiently) but even without a glance of previous covers, suffice to say, allot of ground, and miles of flour, was covered in 15 years. Baking trends came and went from Chocolate Chunk Cookies, Cinnamon Buns, No Carbs, Low Carbs, Low Fat, Cupcakes, Madeleines, Macaroons, Little Pies and Gluten Free Anything. When in doubt, make it gluten free or make it Red Velvet.
I’ve written about it all, as well as food in movies, and on TV (I didn’t do Mad Men yet), food from the royal wedding to recipes celebrating baseball recipes from the field of dreams.
As it is the occasion to ask, here are my frequently asked questions, the FAQ’s of BB, as it were.
When did you start baking?
I was 7 and I was terrible.
How large is your staff?
Do you know you can get recipes free all over the Internet?
Yes, I knew. Someone told me this a few years ago. It’s awesome.
Why don’t you have a baking TV show?
I don’t know. That’s a good idea and I am surprised it never occurred to me before. I will ask Fox, Life or HBO to drop by and film me baking pizza in a silk apron. I don’t know why the Food Network hasn’t rung my doorbell. Maybe I didn’t hear the knock because the Kitchenaid was on high speed whipping egg whites at the time.
Didn’t you know you can upload your own baking video on YouTube?
Yes – I had heard about that. I guess I don’t want to. Yet. It would also get in the way of my leisure time. (Like my staff – what leisure time?).
What happens with all the test samples you bake?
If you bake it, they will come. Each time I bake, people seem to drop by. I also give away allot of baking to deserving people those paths I cross. Sometimes these people are at tango or my gym and more often than not, it's strangers, having a hard time, who can use a scone or a roll or whatever test baking is tucked in my car that day. It always all goes to a good place.
Do your sons all bake?
Where is The Baker's Four Seasons and when will it be published?
The manuscript is waiting for a new dance (publishing) partner. No one is waiting more impatiently than me.
Why don't you have a calorie and nutritional count on your recipes?
Because once you saw the calories of a piece of cheesecake you would never return to my website.
What is your favorite food?
There are so many companies and people to thank (and my website guru in Toronto, Elehost.com) but mostly it’s my readers that I would like to thank. You all have kept me thinking and creating because I have this notion that each month, I will be hosting this mad, baker's tea party. On the first of each month, oodles of foodies and bakers do tend to drop by and I know they expect tea on the table and fresh recipes. That's why I volunteer to do it -because I know company is coming and I love to share.
So with a nod to the fine company I keep, I thank you. Thanks for hanging out in my kitchen for fifteen years, for trying my recipes, hearing me natter about tango and life and a baker's journey.
Almost forgot! A free batch - my 15th Year Anniversary Baker's Dozen Recipes of some of my own favorites plus two new ones I've been working on.
Warm wishes, and happy baking,
Author, Master Baker
Celebrating 15 Years Online
Two New Recipe Inspirations
Greek Yogurt Scones with Sour Cherries
Cheddar Fig Buns
My Own Favorites, A Baker’s Dozen 15 Year Celebration
May 1997-May 2012
Dulce de leche Biscotti
My Original Buttermilk Rhubarb Lawsuit Muffins
Terre Etoile Cafe Famous Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
Underground Baker's Secret Carrot Cake Recipe
Notting Hill Brownies
Cream Earl Grey Tea
Old Fashioned Sweet Yeast Rolls
BB's Famous Pizza Croissants
Apple Baba Muffins
Famous Terre Etoile Oatmeal Cookies
Fresh Cranberry 'N Cream Scones
Almost Cherry Garcia Cookies
Previous Monthly Essays from A Note From Marcy:
Essays to tickle your funny bone, wake up your inner baker, twinge on your heartstrings, or make you smile and say, ‘I’ve know the feeling; I know the place”. If you missed an essay, or a season in baking or inner sensibility, we invite you to stroll through our archived Notes From Marcy.
- October A Note from Marcy - October 2014
- October 2014 A Note from Marcy - October 2014
- September A Note from Marcy - September 2014
- August 2014 A Note from Marcy - August 2014
- Hachette Vs Amazon, a Cookbook Author's response - August 2014
- July 2014 A Note from Marcy - July 2014
- June 2014 A Note from Marcy - June 2014
- May 2014 A Note from Marcy - May 2014
- April 2014 A Note from Marcy - April 2014
- March 2014 A Note from Marcy - March 2014
- FEBRUARY 2014 A Note from Marcy - February 2014
- BB SUBSCRIPTION SALE - February 2014
- January 2014 A Note from Marcy - January 2014
- December 2013 A Note from Marcy - December 2013
- November 2013 A Note from Marcy - November 2013
- October 2013 A Note from Marcy - October 2013
- September 2013 A Note from Marcy - September 2013
- August 2013 A Note from Marcy - August 2013
- July 2013 A Note from Marcy - July 2013
- June 2013 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - June 2013
- May 2013 A Note from Marcy - May 2013
- April 2013 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - April 2013
- March 2013 A Note from Marcy - March 2013
- February 2013 A Note from Marcy - February 2013
- January 2013 A Note from Marcy - January 2013
- December 2012 A Note from Marcy - December 2012
- November 2012 A Note from Marcy - November 2012
- October 2012 A Note from Marcy - October 2012
- September 2012 A Note from Marcy - September 2012
- August 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - August 2012
- July 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - July 2012
- TeamBuy.ca and BetterBaking.com Subscription Special! - June 2012
- April 2012 Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - April 2012
- March 2012 A Note From Marcy - March 2012
- February 2012 A Note from Marcy - February 2012
- January 2012 A Note from Marcy - January 2012
- December 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - December 2011
- November 2011 Note from Marcy Bakers Stash - November 2011
- October 2011 Note From Marcy Baker's Stash - October 2011
- September 2011 A Note from Marcy - September 2011
- August 2011 (1) Note From Marcy - August 2011
- June 2011 Note from Marcy - June 2011
- May 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - May 2011
- March 2011 A Note From Marcy - March 2011
- February 2011 A Note From Marcy, Baker's Stash - February 2011
- January 2011 A Note from Marcy - January 2011
- December 2010 Baker's Stash - December 2010
- November 2010 Baker's Stash - November 2010
- October 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - October 2010
- September 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - September 2010
- August 2010 Baker's Stash - August 2010
- July 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note from Marcy - July 2010
- June 2010 Baker's Stash - June 2010
- April 2010 BAKER'S STASH - April 2010
- March 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note From Marcy - March 2010
- 2003-2007 PAST ISSUES Note from Marcy & Recipes - February 2010
- JANUARY 2010 BAKER'S STASH - January 2010
- December 2009 Baker's Stash - December 2009
- September 2009 Baker's Stash - September 2009
- April 2009 Bakers Stash - April 2009
- March 2009 Baker's Stash Baking With Mom, Feminist in the Kitchen and some Retro - March 2009
- February 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash - February 2009
- January 2009 Baker's Stash - January 2009
- December 2008 Baker's Stash - December 2008
- November 2008 A Note From Marcy - November 2008
- A note from Marcy - December 2007
- A Note from Marcy - February 2007 - An Oreo Love Affair
- A Note from Marcy - January 2007 - When Bakers Cook, Recipes deChef
- A Note from Marcy - December 2006 - Shortbread and Other Favorite Things
- A Note from Marcy - November 2006 - Thank Goodness for Pie
- A Note from Marcy - October 2006 - A Salute to Chocolate Chip Cookies
- A Note from Marcy - September 2006 - The Back to School Carrot Cake Issue
- A Note From Marcy - August 2006 - The Sourdough Magic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - July 2006 - The Annual BB Picnic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - June 2006 - The Bountiful Berry Issue
- A Note from Marcy - May 2006 - Pride and Pastry or Tea With Jane
- A Note from Marcy - April 2006 - The Breakfast Baking Issue and Fresh Starts
- A Note from Marcy March 2006 Passion - Gettin' Some - March 2006 - Havana A Heat Wave, Baking with A Latin Beat and The Passion Play
- A Note from Marcy - February 2006 - Memoirs of A Geisha Baking, Valentineâ€™s Sweets
- A Note from Marcy - January 2006 - The You're Toast, A Salute To Slicing Loaves and More
- A Note from Marcy - December 2005 - Bake It Forward, Gift Baking Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2005 - Open Hearth Hosting or Guess Who's Coming For Dinner
- A Note from Marcy - October 2005 - It All Happens for a Reason or Sometimes Bread Just Doesn't Rise.....
- A Note from Marcy - September 2005 - Baking By the Code
- A Note from Marcy - August 2005 - The Tao of Pie
- A Note from Marcy - July 2005 - The Journey of the Journal plus Twix Bars!
- A Note from Marcy - June 2005 - A Pastry Chefs Trial by Cheesecakes
- A Note from Marcy - May 2005 - The Frontier Baking Issue/Living Big in a Small Venue
- A Note from Marcy - April 2005 - When Harry Met Salad
- A Note from Marcy - March 2005 - Baking with an Irish Broque; A Romance in the Dairy Queen One Fine March
- A Note from Marcy - February 2005 - She Just Doesnâ€™t Get Him, Valentineâ€™s Day Rebuttal and Cupcakes Galore
- A Note from Marcy - January 2005 - The Art of Changing and Making Space in a New Year
- A Note from Marcy - December 2004 - The Shall We Dance or Shall We Bake, Holiday Baking Issue and an Ode to Dance
- A Note from Marcy - November 2004 - The Bread and Soup Issue and How A Canadian Became Americanized (sort of)
- A Note from Marcy - October 2004 - The Field of Dreams Issue, Baseball and the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - September 2004 - The Catcher of the Rye Issue, What Falls Away, the Sweet Taste of Forgiveness and Letting Go
- A Note from Marcy - August 2004 - Itâ€™s All Greek To Me Issue and The Evils of Multi-Tasking
- A Note from Marcy - July 2004 - The Gone Fishinâ€™ Issue/Summer in the River City, A Bakerâ€™s Musical
- A Note from Marcy - June 2004 - The All That Jazz Issue, How To Scat and Improvise in Wheat
- A Note from Marcy - May 2004 - The Bread and Roses Issue, Goddess, Feminist or Feminineâ€¦and Fudge
- A Note from Marcy - April 2004 - Waiting for Happy, or If I Won the Lotto
- A Note from Marcy - March 2004 - Meet You in the Bookstore, My Love Affair with Books
- A Note from Marcy - February 2004 - Sweets for the Sweet, a Valentine From the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - January 2004 - How To Eat Right or Resolution 2004 â€“ How Not To Diet
- A Note From Marcy - December 2003 - The Sugar and Spice Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2003 - How To Weather the Weather, or Keeping Cozy in Late Fall
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 2) - They Laughed When I Got Up To Bake, Hotel School Trials
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 1) - How I Got Into Baking, A Bakerâ€™s Beginnings Part 1
- A Note from Marcy - September 2003 - Welcome To Wheatland, a bakerâ€™s fantasy or Camelot in Flour
- A Note from Marcy - August 2003 - Notes on Homemade Krispie Kreme Doughnuts
- A Note From Marcy - July 2003 - Memories of Summer Music Camp or Baking to Birdland
- A Note From Marcy - June 2003 - How to Play Hooky in Summer, An Urban Adventure
- October 2008 Baker's Stash
- May 2010 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Issue Baking by Heart Copy
- March 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash
- April 2009 Baker's Stash
- September 2008 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Baker's Stash
- The Baker's Four Seasons by Marcy Goldman
- Free Bonus Cronut Recipe!
- April 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash