March 2014 A Note from Marcy
It’s hamantashen time again. What flavor are you? Free Gluten Free Hamantashen, Free Cherry Cheesecake Hamantashen, or try Walter Mitty Clementine Cake
The recipes in this month’s issue include (you’ll find them linked at the end of the Note from Marcy)
Bakery Style Hamantashen Dough
Gluten Free Hamantashen Dough
Village Lentil Soup
Meyer Lemon Hamantashen
Apple Caramel Hamantashen
Strawberry Cheesecake Hamantashen
Walter Mitty’s Clementine Cake
Pear Cranberry Crisp
Nutella Banana Bread (with Kefir)
Cheddar Irish Soda Bread
Subscription Sale to BB!!
It’s that time again. Many of you have subscriptions that end this April 2014. If you would like to partake of the $19.99 For One Year BB Special, we accept direct Paypal.com payment via our account: email@example.com. Once payment is processed, we’ll let you know. (if you have a password, that should stay the same). The sale is on through March 17th. (And yes, we still accept checks – let us know if you prefer that via firstname.lastname@example.org)
Dear Bakers and Friends,
* If any links don't link, please cut/paste and put them in your browser.
What have you been up to this wild, snowy, cold winter? Can you believe March is already upon us? Don’t you find that just when the cold and ice become unbearable and seemingly eternal, you also notice the days getting longer and things are slushier? There’s a definite chink in the armour of snow. Once you inhale just a whiff of spring, even if a snow storm or two lies ahead, you can’t go back. Our palates also start to wake up, and just in time for Purim too - one of my most favorite baking seasons. It doesn’t hurt that Purim is followed by St. Pat’s Day which is my excuse to indulge my penchant for Irish Soda Bread.
As I write this, I have vanilla-scented dulce de leche simmering on the stove. It’s intended for another batch of Caramel Apple Hamantashen. I am also creating/testing Mango Cheesecake as today is my eldest son’s birthday and he loves cheesecake, as well as sunshine-y baking. (So look for Mango Cheesecake in the April or May issue of BB).
In creating the Apple Caramel Hamantashen, I also discovered a new trick which is to add a bit of Nielsen Massey Vanilla Bean Paste to dulce de leche. It’s a perfect fusion of two amazing worlds of taste. I’m looking forward to my own Purim bake-a-thon with a couple of friends (it’s become an annual thing) and then it’s back to writing my new cookbook. I’ll try and make this public service announcement quick. You are more than welcome to skip ahead and scroll down to the recipes.
When Bakers Cook on Indigo
For Canadians, here’s the Indigo Chapters link to purchase my cookbook When Bakers Cook
A Passion for Baking Back in Print!
My classic cookbook A Passion for Baking is almost back into print! I am proudly re-publishing it myself in colour, soft copy and on Kindle (and there is that Free Kindle App for those of you who have Ipads or smart phones). However, I still have some copies to sell (autographed, of course) of the original hard cover book. Email me email@example.com if you would like to purchase one. Otherwise, stay tuned, and the new edition of A Passion for Baking (in print and Ebook) will be available on Amazon, Indigo, Barnes and Noble and Amazon.ca.
The Baker’s Four Seasons
This amazing cookbook is almost done, I promise. Since I wrote the book a few years ago and unfortunately, it had its delays, I also evolved as a baker. Because I want my newest cookbook to reflect the best of my best I am literally opening the book manuscript up at the seams and expanding, creating, and refining what really is a magnificent salute to the seasons and all their flavors, in baking. In addition to the fabulous recipes already in the book, I created over forty new ones which are totally wonderful. As usual, all recipes need their usual triple testing. After testing, the book will go into the rigorous editing process. I aim to launch this new cookbook for early summer. That’s my (ambitious) plan. But I promise you a baking book like no other.
When Bakers Cook – Buy the Book, Get a Bonus of 4 Months of BB Recipe Archives
My newest cookbook is for sale in print and on Kindle and I am so pleased to hear from those of you who’ve been cooking with it. It is absolute music to my ears to get emails from people using the recipes and finding new favorites. Some folks are cooking it recipe-by-recipe – which is just what I had in mind for this book – to make sure each page was a recipe you’d want to try. If you’ve already bought a copy of When Bakers Cook and are thinking of giving another copy as a gift, I will add 4 months of BB to your subscription as well as to your gift recipient. Just send in a proof of purchase from Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Barnes and Noble or Indigo.ca. (wherever you bought it online). I will be happy to honour it.
When Bakers Cook, a sample recipe
FREE Village Lentil Vegetable Soup
One of the great soups from my cookbook, When Bakers Cook. Lakeside walks on a winter’s day generally result in an appetite for soup. Such was the case when I happened on a nook of a bakery in a small village near my home that served a wonderful daily soup of lentils and vegetables, alongside huge sandwiches, maple glazed biscuits (another recipe to replicate soon), huge cookies and lofty scones. Here's that soup as best I can recreate it. Serve this soup as is or in individual bowls, each topped with garlic bread rounds, and a pile of asiago cheese shavings. Pop it under a broiler for a few minutes to make the cheese bubble and sizzle.
My Costco Features (more free recipes!)
I’ve also done some really special features for Costco Magazine. If you’ve missed it, here are links to my features and recipes for Geeked on Greek (Greek Yogurt) and Homemade Breakfast Sandwiches.
Clearly, I’ve chatted enough for this month so the more ‘philosophical me’ you all know and tolerate will have to wait until next month’s missive. But if you need me, in the kitchen or in life (I am an incomparable advice giver; I suck as an advice taker), I am here for you. You are why I write and bake and somehow, manage to upload a fresh Baker’s Stash each month. I am known by the company I keep and you are indeed, fine company.
In the meantime, I wish you the joy of connection that comes from food, especially baking. And if my recipes help inspire a bit of that joy, I am honoured because honestly, it’s all I ever wanted to do – to bake for and with you.
Author, Master Baker
March 2014 Baker’s Stash Recipes
Bakery Style Butter Crumb Topped Cinnamon Babka
Small, feathery and moist, this is the most addictive babka in the world (and it’s not too big)
FREE!! Sweet Pear Cranberry Crisp
Something mellow and tart and easy.
Walter Mitty Clementine Cake Just in time for Oscar night – a movie oriented recipe!
Have you seen Mitty? Did you note the reference to Mrs. Mitty’s incredible Clementine Cake? How could I not invent my own. This is zesty and sweet and pure sunshine.
Meyer Lemon Hamantashen
Tangy citrus is a zesty contrast in these traditional butter hamantashen.
Apple Caramel Hamantashen
FREE Cherry Cheesecake Hamantashen
Over the top, these are New York style hamantashen.
FREE Gluten Free Hamantashen
Why not? It’s time to go gluten-free for Purim. Legend has it that Queen Ester was gluten-intollerant herself. Or many she was just intolerant of villains like Haman.
FREE Maple Glazed Doughnuts
Just in time for Mardi Gras or Shrove Tuesday. You could choose pancakes or you could indulge with fresh doughnuts.
Apple Caramel Hamantashen
What could be better than apples, caramel, and a kiss of cinnamon all baked into a tiny pastry package?
Nutella Banana Bread
I like banana bread, I love Nutella, together they make a heavenly dessert loaf.
Easy as the Greek letter ‘pie’, but decadently honey and walnutty.
Previous Monthly Essays from A Note From Marcy:
Essays to tickle your funny bone, wake up your inner baker, twinge on your heartstrings, or make you smile and say, ‘I’ve know the feeling; I know the place”. If you missed an essay, or a season in baking or inner sensibility, we invite you to stroll through our archived Notes From Marcy.
- June 2017 A Note from Marcy - June 2017
- June 2017 A Note from Marcy - June 2017
- Babe - May 2017
- APRIL 2017 A Note from Marcy - April 2017
- March 2017 A Note from Marcy - March 2017
- February A Note from Marcy - February 2017
- January 2017 A Note from Marcy - January 2017
- December 2016 A Note from Marcy - December 2016
- Winter 2016 BB Best Gifts Round-Up - December 2016
- November 2016 A Note from Marcy - November 2016
- October 2016 A Note from Marcy - October 2016
- September 2016 A Note from Marcy - September 2016
- August 2016 A Note from Marcy - August 2016
- July 2016 A Note from Marcy - June 2016
- June 2016 A Note from Marcy - June 2016
- MAY 2016 A Note from Marcy - May 2016
- April 2016 A Note from Marcy - April 2016
- March 2016 A Note from Marcy - March 2016
- February 2016 A Note from Marcy - February 2016
- January 2016 A Note from Marcy - January 2016
- December 2015 A Note from Marcy - December 2015
- November 2015 A Note from Marcy - November 2015
- September 2015 A Note from Marcy - September 2015
- August 2015 A Note from Marcy - August 2015
- July 2015 A Note from Marcy - July 2015
- June 2015 A Note from Marcy - June 2015
- May 2015 A Note from Marcy - May 2015
- April 2015 A Note from Marcy - April 2015
- March 2015 A Note from Marcy - March 2015
- February 2015 A Note from Marcy - February 2015
- January 2015 A Note from Marcy - January 2015
- December 2014 A Note from Marcy - December 2014
- November 2014 A Note From Marcy - November 2014
- October A Note from Marcy - October 2014
- September 2014 A Note from Marcy - September 2014
- August 2014 A Note from Marcy - August 2014
- July 2014 A Note from Marcy - July 2014
- June 2014 A Note from Marcy - June 2014
- May 2014 A Note from Marcy - May 2014
- April 2014 A Note from Marcy - April 2014
- February 2014 A Note from Marcy - February 2014
- January 2014 A Note from Marcy - January 2014
- December 2013 A Note from Marcy - December 2013
- November 2013 A Note from Marcy - November 2013
- October 2013 A Note from Marcy - October 2013
- September 2013 A Note from Marcy - September 2013
- August 2013 A Note from Marcy - August 2013
- July 2013 A Note from Marcy - July 2013
- June 2013 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - June 2013
- May 2013 A Note from Marcy - May 2013
- April 2013 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - April 2013
- March 2013 A Note from Marcy - March 2013
- February 2013 A Note from Marcy - February 2013
- January 2013 A Note from Marcy - January 2013
- December 2012 A Note from Marcy - December 2012
- November 2012 A Note from Marcy - November 2012
- October 2012 A Note from Marcy - October 2012
- September 2012 A Note from Marcy - September 2012
- August 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - August 2012
- July 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - July 2012
- May 2012 A Note from Marcy - May 2012
- April 2012 Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - April 2012
- March 2012 A Note From Marcy - March 2012
- February 2012 A Note from Marcy - February 2012
- January 2012 A Note from Marcy - January 2012
- December 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - December 2011
- November 2011 Note from Marcy Bakers Stash - November 2011
- October 2011 Note From Marcy Baker's Stash - October 2011
- September 2011 A Note from Marcy - September 2011
- August 2011 (1) Note From Marcy - August 2011
- June 2011 Note from Marcy - June 2011
- May 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - May 2011
- March 2011 A Note From Marcy - March 2011
- February 2011 A Note From Marcy, Baker's Stash - February 2011
- January 2011 A Note from Marcy - January 2011
- December 2010 Baker's Stash - December 2010
- November 2010 Baker's Stash - November 2010
- October 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - October 2010
- September 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - September 2010
- August 2010 Baker's Stash - August 2010
- July 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note from Marcy - July 2010
- June 2010 Baker's Stash - June 2010
- April 2010 BAKER'S STASH - April 2010
- March 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note From Marcy - March 2010
- 2003-2007 PAST ISSUES Note from Marcy & Recipes - February 2010
- January 2010 Baker's Stash - January 2010
- December 2009 Baker's Stash - December 2009
- September 2009 Baker's Stash - September 2009
- April 2009 Bakers Stash - April 2009
- March 2009 Baker's Stash Baking With Mom, Feminist in the Kitchen and some Retro - March 2009
- February 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash - February 2009
- January 2009 Baker's Stash - January 2009
- December 2008 Baker's Stash - December 2008
- November 2008 A Note From Marcy - November 2008
- September 2008 Baker's Stash - September 2008
- A note from Marcy - December 2007
- A Note from Marcy - February 2007 - An Oreo Love Affair
- A Note from Marcy - January 2007 - When Bakers Cook, Recipes deChef
- A Note from Marcy - December 2006 - Shortbread and Other Favorite Things
- A Note from Marcy - November 2006 - Thank Goodness for Pie
- A Note from Marcy - October 2006 - A Salute to Chocolate Chip Cookies
- A Note from Marcy - September 2006 - The Back to School Carrot Cake Issue
- A Note From Marcy - August 2006 - The Sourdough Magic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - July 2006 - The Annual BB Picnic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - June 2006 - The Bountiful Berry Issue
- A Note from Marcy - May 2006 - Pride and Pastry or Tea With Jane
- A Note from Marcy - April 2006 - The Breakfast Baking Issue and Fresh Starts
- A Note from Marcy March 2006 Passion - Gettin' Some - March 2006 - Havana A Heat Wave, Baking with A Latin Beat and The Passion Play
- A Note from Marcy - February 2006 - Memoirs of A Geisha Baking, Valentineâ€™s Sweets
- A Note from Marcy - January 2006 - The You're Toast, A Salute To Slicing Loaves and More
- A Note from Marcy - December 2005 - Bake It Forward, Gift Baking Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2005 - Open Hearth Hosting or Guess Who's Coming For Dinner
- A Note from Marcy - October 2005 - It All Happens for a Reason or Sometimes Bread Just Doesn't Rise.....
- A Note from Marcy - September 2005 - Baking By the Code
- A Note from Marcy - August 2005 - The Tao of Pie
- A Note from Marcy - July 2005 - The Journey of the Journal plus Twix Bars!
- A Note from Marcy - June 2005 - A Pastry Chefs Trial by Cheesecakes
- A Note from Marcy - May 2005 - The Frontier Baking Issue/Living Big in a Small Venue
- A Note from Marcy - April 2005 - When Harry Met Salad
- A Note from Marcy - March 2005 - Baking with an Irish Broque; A Romance in the Dairy Queen One Fine March
- A Note from Marcy - February 2005 - She Just Doesnâ€™t Get Him, Valentineâ€™s Day Rebuttal and Cupcakes Galore
- A Note from Marcy - January 2005 - The Art of Changing and Making Space in a New Year
- A Note from Marcy - December 2004 - The Shall We Dance or Shall We Bake, Holiday Baking Issue and an Ode to Dance
- A Note from Marcy - November 2004 - The Bread and Soup Issue and How A Canadian Became Americanized (sort of)
- A Note from Marcy - October 2004 - The Field of Dreams Issue, Baseball and the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - September 2004 - The Catcher of the Rye Issue, What Falls Away, the Sweet Taste of Forgiveness and Letting Go
- A Note from Marcy - August 2004 - Itâ€™s All Greek To Me Issue and The Evils of Multi-Tasking
- A Note from Marcy - July 2004 - The Gone Fishinâ€™ Issue/Summer in the River City, A Bakerâ€™s Musical
- A Note from Marcy - June 2004 - The All That Jazz Issue, How To Scat and Improvise in Wheat
- A Note from Marcy - May 2004 - The Bread and Roses Issue, Goddess, Feminist or Feminineâ€¦and Fudge
- A Note from Marcy - April 2004 - Waiting for Happy, or If I Won the Lotto
- A Note from Marcy - March 2004 - Meet You in the Bookstore, My Love Affair with Books
- A Note from Marcy - February 2004 - Sweets for the Sweet, a Valentine From the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - January 2004 - How To Eat Right or Resolution 2004 â€“ How Not To Diet
- A Note From Marcy - December 2003 - The Sugar and Spice Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2003 - How To Weather the Weather, or Keeping Cozy in Late Fall
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 2) - They Laughed When I Got Up To Bake, Hotel School Trials
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 1) - How I Got Into Baking, A Bakerâ€™s Beginnings Part 1
- A Note from Marcy - September 2003 - Welcome To Wheatland, a bakerâ€™s fantasy or Camelot in Flour
- A Note from Marcy - August 2003 - Notes on Homemade Krispie Kreme Doughnuts
- A Note From Marcy - July 2003 - Memories of Summer Music Camp or Baking to Birdland
- A Note From Marcy - June 2003 - How to Play Hooky in Summer, An Urban Adventure
- April 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash
- October 2008 Baker's Stash
- May 2010 Baker's Stash
- May 2017 Big Product Review Feature
- February 2009 Issue Baking by Heart Copy
- March 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash
- April 2009 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Baker's Stash