March 2016 A Note from Marcy
Welcome to March and an ode to Buttermilk Irish Soda Bread as well as Purim treats and more, like the world's best
Dear Friends and Fellow Bakers,
Welcome to the March issue of BB which comes to you a day late, courtesy of Leap Year - ah, the gift of extra time, however artificial.
As you know, since I only mentioned it about twelve times in 4 months, I recently moved from a house I lived in for over 30 years to a new area and totally new living space. My old house hosted family and friends and it was where both my parents (alas, now both gone) dropped by and filled it with their loving energy. I was a new wife in that house, then a new mother of one baby boy which turned to three sons, then a single mother, an entrepreneur and author and website host. I taught baking classes in that house, and celebrated thirty Purims (and Hanukkahs, Passovers and Thanksgivings) and the four seasons, as they danced by my kitchen window and inspired me to write my cookbook, The Baker's Four Seasons. I weathered Montreal's infamous 1998 Ice Storm in that house, keeping my brood somehow safe and warm. And it was there where I had countless cups of coffee and pots of tea with friends; as well as Purim hamantashen roll-a-thons. The rooms were filled with tears and laughter and the evidence of three rambunctious boys (broken door handles, broken windows, punched out walls) who grew into young men in that house. Plus, my original BB kitchen was a workhorse; my pride and joy was a 60 inch Garland commercial range. I was loathe to leave it (and in the end, 1-800-Got-Junk had to lug it off and it was donated to a church).
So when it came time to sell my home (it was way beyond time), my mood and nerves went south – big time. For a person who has made anxiety a high art form, I reached a new peak. But one of the strongest feelings I had was that I wouldn't able to endure the grief of leaving my home - that I would wake up in a new place and pine beyond consolation. But I did endure. Post tumult of the move. (And let me just note that I moved very quickly; my house sold in 30 days, one day for each year I lived there. I packed in record time, found a new place at the last minute and then, in four short hours, I was out.) Uprooted and stunned, somehow I began to thaw out. Quicker than I expected, I found joy in the new nest and a few days ago, installed a new baking table and delighted in seeing the kitchen glide into a new era of Betterbaking.com (and me).
Betterbaking.com's New Test Kitchen
Truth is, the new nest is even more me than my old abode. There are parks, ponds, gazebos all around and a new library the size and prestige of Lincoln Center. I am also closer to tango and found a yoga class I actually attended more than once. In finding this new nest, I found both new and old me, the latter being some of the parts I like best about myself. I am, to quote a Jane Austen character, ‘returned’ to myself and with renewed energy.
So what does this mean to you, my gentle, baking readers? In short, what it means is – a new website is indeed on the way; I’ll be taking more recipe photos and like-it-or-not (I am camera shy; selfies for me, are an evil born to torture me) videos of my baking and cooking recipes and hope they will inspire you and come more to life when you see some of the recipes being demonstrated on Youtube. I’ll keep the old site for all of us to access so no worries if you want to log in there until, as my new house is to me, the new site is as familiar to you as the old/current site is.
You should know that my Facebook page is and the other one will be deleted. I really would consider checking my out on Facebook; I often give away new and free recipes. My Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/marcy.goldman. If you’ve gone to my Betterbaking.com page at Facebook please be aware that will be deleted soon.
In the end, or five months in, what I’ve come to see is change is good. It is also inevitable and dreaded (for some of us) but also, at times, good or eventually good. Some people change as easily as snowflakes randomly floating down to earth, weaving their way through the air in a happy, relaxed fashion. I am more of an arcade pinball, lurching and jolting on every bend and imagined obstacle until I fall in a heap, exhausted by fighting the inevitable.
This time, the impact of change’s has seen my passion for baking re-blossom along with my interest in wholesome food. To me, cupcakes and kale are not enemies but part of a balance sheet of good, inventive, creative food and that elusive thing called balance. Hence this month’s recipe for Black Bean Sweet Potato Burgers. I could have done quinoa alone, or sweet potato or black bean burgers but I thought: why not make as stupendous all-in-one burger that uses all these nutritious things! With the healthy comes medium health such as (over 8000 downloads) Classic Soda Bread, and then more decadent Chocolate Bar Hamantashen, Chocolate Pumpkin Bark, and a Levain Bakery styled Chocolate Chunk Cookie. For lunch-on-the-go, I am featuring the Asian Chicken Salad. Here’s a photo of how I make it to eat at home and on-the-run. With good food packed to go, I’m never at the mercy of the food court or drive-thru.
Don't forget the hamantashen! Bakery Style Hamantashen Dough and any filling you like (or check the BB Recipe Archives)
On some other notes, for those of you in Montreal, don’t forget the upcoming Health Food show,
http://expomangersante.com/en/. It’s always great fun, there are free samples (cashew cheesecakes, kombucha and gluten free snacks for acres and acres). I am reviewing some amazing products by www.Ecoeco.com, all natural, essential-oil based body treatment products. The more I learn about cosmetics, the more natural I want to be.
How could I forget! After years of trying to read a steamy, mercury thermometer while make jams and marmalade, I invested in a ThermoWorks Thermopen. What a revelation. This nifty gadget is really art and science combined. The Thermapen Mk4 comes in a range of colours; it has a clear digital read out (and a sensory backlight) and efficiently determines the temperature for meat, bread doughs, jams and caramel making. It comes pre-installed with a battery that lasts for 3000 hours and is the Rolls Royce of temperature gauges. www.Thermoworks.com.
With that, I wish you a happy Leap Year, happy March, St. Pat’s and Purim as well as happy mellow days in-between – those days and moments unsung by any red stickers on the calendar or IPhone reminders. These are the impromptu, unmarked holidays of your own spirit wherein a good mood, appreciation for all that is good in the day, the moment or your own life, is the best holiday of all.
Warm wishes and happy baking,
Author, Master Baker
Recipe Collection for March 2016
Hard to imagine anything this good could be so easy and wholesome. Meaty, crunchy, satisfying and vegetarian.
Bailey's Irish Cream Apple Crisp FREE
Sublime apples and a Irish warmth in every spoonful.
Cheddar Irish Soda Bread
The best of Irish soda bread enlivened with sharp orange cheddar. A few slabs of smoked turkey and you have a feast.
Buttermilk Irish Soda Bread Over 8000 Downloads FREE
Nothing beats a classic.
Guinness Corned Beef
Rarely does something savory capture me as much as this succulent hunk of beef. Great hot or cold - don't wait for St. Pat's to brew this up.
Chocolate Bar Hamantashen FREE
I love inventing new hamantashen fillings. This is just a neat way to use chunks of milk chocolate if you get tired of apricot, mango, prune, lemon, cherry cheesecake, blueberry (all in the BB Archives) hamantashen fillings.
Special K Mandelbrot/Biscotti
A great cookie to nibble on or fill shallot manot baskets with.
Pumpkin Chocolate Bark and White Chocolate Cherry Bark More shallot manot fillers
Belgian Milk Chocolate Chip Scones
(Almost Levain's) Chocolate Chunk Cookies
A New York friend once Fed Ex'ed some famous Levain Bakery cookies to me and later on, I also had the pleasure to interview one of Levain’s owners. Both experiences made me determined to create my own version of legendary Levain-styled chocolate chip cookies.
Carrot Millet Muffins
Carrot Millet MuffinsThese totally rock. I don't know what I like better about these muffins: their taste, their crumb or their hue or their healthy appeal. They're replete with a mix of healthy grains, fresh carrots and some other treats making them tasty, satisfying and noble.
Ramen Chicken Salad
One of my favorite salads, I now make it in big batches so salad to go is at the ready.
Previous Monthly Essays from A Note From Marcy:
Essays to tickle your funny bone, wake up your inner baker, twinge on your heartstrings, or make you smile and say, ‘I’ve know the feeling; I know the place”. If you missed an essay, or a season in baking or inner sensibility, we invite you to stroll through our archived Notes From Marcy.
- April 2017 A Note from Marcy - April 2017
- APRIL 2017 A Note from Marcy - April 2017
- March 2017 A Note from Marcy - March 2017
- February A Note from Marcy - February 2017
- January 2017 A Note from Marcy - January 2017
- December 2016 A Note from Marcy - December 2016
- Winter 2016 BB Best Gifts Round-Up - December 2016
- November 2016 A Note from Marcy - November 2016
- October 2016 A Note from Marcy - October 2016
- September 2016 A Note from Marcy - September 2016
- August 2016 A Note from Marcy - August 2016
- July 2016 A Note from Marcy - June 2016
- June 2016 A Note from Marcy - June 2016
- MAY 2016 A Note from Marcy - May 2016
- April 2016 A Note from Marcy - April 2016
- February 2016 A Note from Marcy - February 2016
- January 2016 A Note from Marcy - January 2016
- December 2015 A Note from Marcy - December 2015
- November 2015 A Note from Marcy - November 2015
- September 2015 A Note from Marcy - September 2015
- August 2015 A Note from Marcy - August 2015
- July 2015 A Note from Marcy - July 2015
- June 2015 A Note from Marcy - June 2015
- May 2015 A Note from Marcy - May 2015
- April 2015 A Note from Marcy - April 2015
- March 2015 A Note from Marcy - March 2015
- February 2015 A Note from Marcy - February 2015
- January 2015 A Note from Marcy - January 2015
- December 2014 A Note from Marcy - December 2014
- November 2014 A Note From Marcy - November 2014
- October A Note from Marcy - October 2014
- September 2014 A Note from Marcy - September 2014
- August 2014 A Note from Marcy - August 2014
- July 2014 A Note from Marcy - July 2014
- June 2014 A Note from Marcy - June 2014
- May 2014 A Note from Marcy - May 2014
- April 2014 A Note from Marcy - April 2014
- March 2014 A Note from Marcy - March 2014
- February 2014 A Note from Marcy - February 2014
- January 2014 A Note from Marcy - January 2014
- December 2013 A Note from Marcy - December 2013
- November 2013 A Note from Marcy - November 2013
- October 2013 A Note from Marcy - October 2013
- September 2013 A Note from Marcy - September 2013
- August 2013 A Note from Marcy - August 2013
- July 2013 A Note from Marcy - July 2013
- June 2013 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - June 2013
- May 2013 A Note from Marcy - May 2013
- April 2013 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - April 2013
- March 2013 A Note from Marcy - March 2013
- February 2013 A Note from Marcy - February 2013
- January 2013 A Note from Marcy - January 2013
- December 2012 A Note from Marcy - December 2012
- November 2012 A Note from Marcy - November 2012
- October 2012 A Note from Marcy - October 2012
- September 2012 A Note from Marcy - September 2012
- August 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - August 2012
- July 2012 A Note from Marcy Baker's Stash - July 2012
- May 2012 A Note from Marcy - May 2012
- April 2012 Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - April 2012
- March 2012 A Note From Marcy - March 2012
- February 2012 A Note from Marcy - February 2012
- January 2012 A Note from Marcy - January 2012
- December 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - December 2011
- November 2011 Note from Marcy Bakers Stash - November 2011
- October 2011 Note From Marcy Baker's Stash - October 2011
- September 2011 A Note from Marcy - September 2011
- August 2011 (1) Note From Marcy - August 2011
- June 2011 Note from Marcy - June 2011
- May 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash - May 2011
- March 2011 A Note From Marcy - March 2011
- February 2011 A Note From Marcy, Baker's Stash - February 2011
- January 2011 A Note from Marcy - January 2011
- December 2010 Baker's Stash - December 2010
- November 2010 Baker's Stash - November 2010
- October 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - October 2010
- September 2010 Note from Marcy & Baker's Stash - September 2010
- August 2010 Baker's Stash - August 2010
- July 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note from Marcy - July 2010
- June 2010 Baker's Stash - June 2010
- April 2010 BAKER'S STASH - April 2010
- March 2010 Baker's Stash, A Note From Marcy - March 2010
- 2003-2007 PAST ISSUES Note from Marcy & Recipes - February 2010
- January 2010 Baker's Stash - January 2010
- December 2009 Baker's Stash - December 2009
- September 2009 Baker's Stash - September 2009
- April 2009 Bakers Stash - April 2009
- March 2009 Baker's Stash Baking With Mom, Feminist in the Kitchen and some Retro - March 2009
- February 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash - February 2009
- January 2009 Baker's Stash - January 2009
- December 2008 Baker's Stash - December 2008
- November 2008 A Note From Marcy - November 2008
- September 2008 Baker's Stash - September 2008
- A note from Marcy - December 2007
- A Note from Marcy - February 2007 - An Oreo Love Affair
- A Note from Marcy - January 2007 - When Bakers Cook, Recipes deChef
- A Note from Marcy - December 2006 - Shortbread and Other Favorite Things
- A Note from Marcy - November 2006 - Thank Goodness for Pie
- A Note from Marcy - October 2006 - A Salute to Chocolate Chip Cookies
- A Note from Marcy - September 2006 - The Back to School Carrot Cake Issue
- A Note From Marcy - August 2006 - The Sourdough Magic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - July 2006 - The Annual BB Picnic Issue
- A Note from Marcy - June 2006 - The Bountiful Berry Issue
- A Note from Marcy - May 2006 - Pride and Pastry or Tea With Jane
- A Note from Marcy - April 2006 - The Breakfast Baking Issue and Fresh Starts
- A Note from Marcy March 2006 Passion - Gettin' Some - March 2006 - Havana A Heat Wave, Baking with A Latin Beat and The Passion Play
- A Note from Marcy - February 2006 - Memoirs of A Geisha Baking, Valentineâ€™s Sweets
- A Note from Marcy - January 2006 - The You're Toast, A Salute To Slicing Loaves and More
- A Note from Marcy - December 2005 - Bake It Forward, Gift Baking Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2005 - Open Hearth Hosting or Guess Who's Coming For Dinner
- A Note from Marcy - October 2005 - It All Happens for a Reason or Sometimes Bread Just Doesn't Rise.....
- A Note from Marcy - September 2005 - Baking By the Code
- A Note from Marcy - August 2005 - The Tao of Pie
- A Note from Marcy - July 2005 - The Journey of the Journal plus Twix Bars!
- A Note from Marcy - June 2005 - A Pastry Chefs Trial by Cheesecakes
- A Note from Marcy - May 2005 - The Frontier Baking Issue/Living Big in a Small Venue
- A Note from Marcy - April 2005 - When Harry Met Salad
- A Note from Marcy - March 2005 - Baking with an Irish Broque; A Romance in the Dairy Queen One Fine March
- A Note from Marcy - February 2005 - She Just Doesnâ€™t Get Him, Valentineâ€™s Day Rebuttal and Cupcakes Galore
- A Note from Marcy - January 2005 - The Art of Changing and Making Space in a New Year
- A Note from Marcy - December 2004 - The Shall We Dance or Shall We Bake, Holiday Baking Issue and an Ode to Dance
- A Note from Marcy - November 2004 - The Bread and Soup Issue and How A Canadian Became Americanized (sort of)
- A Note from Marcy - October 2004 - The Field of Dreams Issue, Baseball and the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - September 2004 - The Catcher of the Rye Issue, What Falls Away, the Sweet Taste of Forgiveness and Letting Go
- A Note from Marcy - August 2004 - Itâ€™s All Greek To Me Issue and The Evils of Multi-Tasking
- A Note from Marcy - July 2004 - The Gone Fishinâ€™ Issue/Summer in the River City, A Bakerâ€™s Musical
- A Note from Marcy - June 2004 - The All That Jazz Issue, How To Scat and Improvise in Wheat
- A Note from Marcy - May 2004 - The Bread and Roses Issue, Goddess, Feminist or Feminineâ€¦and Fudge
- A Note from Marcy - April 2004 - Waiting for Happy, or If I Won the Lotto
- A Note from Marcy - March 2004 - Meet You in the Bookstore, My Love Affair with Books
- A Note from Marcy - February 2004 - Sweets for the Sweet, a Valentine From the Baker
- A Note from Marcy - January 2004 - How To Eat Right or Resolution 2004 â€“ How Not To Diet
- A Note From Marcy - December 2003 - The Sugar and Spice Issue
- A Note from Marcy - November 2003 - How To Weather the Weather, or Keeping Cozy in Late Fall
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 2) - They Laughed When I Got Up To Bake, Hotel School Trials
- A Note from Marcy - October 2003 (Part 1) - How I Got Into Baking, A Bakerâ€™s Beginnings Part 1
- A Note from Marcy - September 2003 - Welcome To Wheatland, a bakerâ€™s fantasy or Camelot in Flour
- A Note from Marcy - August 2003 - Notes on Homemade Krispie Kreme Doughnuts
- A Note From Marcy - July 2003 - Memories of Summer Music Camp or Baking to Birdland
- A Note From Marcy - June 2003 - How to Play Hooky in Summer, An Urban Adventure
- April 2011 A Note from Marcy, Baker's Stash
- October 2008 Baker's Stash
- May 2010 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Issue Baking by Heart Copy
- March 2009 Baker's Recipe Stash
- April 2009 Baker's Stash
- February 2009 Baker's Stash